Mereks? Botulism? Something Else?

I doubt that these chickens received vaccinations since the people who bought them originally wanted organic eggs. I'm not sure that vaccinations are a no-no for organic egg production, but I know that sometimes they are. She is drinking and I make sure that she gets some water every time I check on her. She has taken drinks on her own, too. I'll try some other foods. I was disappointed that she didn't want many grubs. Those are usually an exciting find. We haven't added any new birds. We do, of course, have wild birds about and mice, although we try to keep the mice under control. I found it interesting that that her condition came on so quickly. We check on our chickens twice a day and she was fine in the morning and by the evening she couldn't stand. We'll be keeping a close eye on our other two, but so far they've remained very active and healthy-looking.

I put her in the garden this morning and she started pecking around at the dirt, so I got some food and the egg I made her last night and spread them around her. She ate her feed happily and ate a few bites of egg and a grub. I stayed out with her for about 45 minutes and she was happily eating and pecking away almost the whole time. She didn't seem to have any problems with her neck turning over while she was out there.

I'm glad that she seems to be interested in food again today, that's good!
Marek's vaccination does not effect the organic status of chickens. My birds are vaccinated and I raise them in an organic way. Even certified organic meat and egg laying birds are permitted to have the Marek's vaccination given before three days old. Anyhow it's sort of a moot point, but just in case you were wondering!

Angel seems to be getting worse. Her neck gets twisted under her body more frequently now and she seems to have less control. I am still having trouble finding things that she will eat consistently. Another of our hens has stopped laying recently and is missing some feathers from the back of her neck, so I'm worried about her now, too. She's always been the top hen and has a huge personality. I hope she doesn't come down with the same thing.

Angel seems to be getting worse. Her neck gets twisted under her body more frequently now and she seems to have less control. I am still having trouble finding things that she will eat consistently. Another of our hens has stopped laying recently and is missing some feathers from the back of her neck, so I'm worried about her now, too. She's always been the top hen and has a huge personality. I hope she doesn't come down with the same thing.
Have you tried aspirin therapy for wry neck? Aspirin helps with pain/swelling,you can give a baby aspirin 81mg or a reg 325mg aspirin,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight crush and place in water(my preference)or sprinkle over feed. She will not eat b/c she does not feel well. Keep her warm,very important chickens cannot regulate their body temp when ill/injured. Have you tried adding warm water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)chickens usually love this and is easier for frail ones to eat.

Back
Top Bottom