Mereks in 2wk old chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michpetea, Aug 16, 2010.

1. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Just doing a once over on our two new babies. The silkie hasn't seemed to thrive as well as our other EE chick. As I was checking her neck I found a berry sized fatty lump. I'm worried about Mereks. She came home as a day old chick two weeks ago. We have a small flock of 4 layers. They have separate areas from the grown girls. Any help would be appreciated. This is my young daughters chick.

2. BB Ranch

BB Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    In all chickens there is a crop in the neck. In silkies, it is kind of in an odd place and feels different than other breeds. It took me by surprise. Could this be it.

3. michpetea

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I hope so. I didn't notice it yesterday. I don't handle them much, just quick checkups.

4. michpetea

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay this morning I got my hubby to check right away. The chicks swollen area had gone down significantly. He massaged the spot (chick loved it) for a few minutes. I later manipulated it and could feel food in it. I just didn't think chicks crops could get that large. They free range every day in our garden with their adopted mom - so I'm not sure if she is just pigging out. She is a silkie/cochlin mix and seems to have a little problem with wry neck. This made her crop look even more afflicted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by