mereks

Well I figured mine were going to die if I didn't give it to them so I had nothing to lose. I had one bird who I thought for sure was going to die but several weeks after the vaccine she not only was still living but started laying eggs too! Like I said though, we already have Marek's on our property so all new birds are kept in sanitized brooders well away from the infected area until they're much older and they're vaccinated before they ever get here.

My understanding is the vaccine will not keep them from contracting the virus but it does keep the lesions from growing in most cases. Vaccinating your birds is a race to see which virus will get hold first, the turkey one that keeps the lesions from growing or the more virulent strain that will sicken and kill the birds. This is why it's important to vaccinate as soon as possible, they have a better chance of building the good immunity. Many people will hatch out baby chicks over a period of several weeks and vaccinate them all at once. This means they have birds of varying ages and stages of development.

Only you can decide if you're willing to risk it with yours. It's a tough position to be in.
hugs.gif

It could. That's what happened with mine. I had disease free birds and unknowingly added the diseased birds. Learned that lesson the hard way! If you did add the new ones to the older girls you would definitely want to vaccinate everyone first and make sure you had given them the minimum of 10 days for the vaccine to have taken effect. You would need to vaccinate separately and use sterile equipment for each group. So long as you have the sick birds on your property make sure you're practicing very good bio security as the dander from skin and feathers carries the virus. You can go out to your old girls after spending time with the new ones and spread the disease yourself. Whatever you do you should probably make a decision soon to reduce the chances of spreading the disease.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it. I know how stressful and heartbreaking this is.

Like you, I was going to get a FEW chickens. I have about 65 in my adult flock of egg layers. I also have one pair of 18 week old Blue/Black splash Orpingtons I hatched here and did not vaccinate. Then I have 76 3 weeks old chicks...some I will keep, some I will sell when close to laying. I also have one hen setting on lavender Orpington eggs and Salmon Faverolles eggs Can you say...OBSESSED??? LOL

Last edited:
Here's a problem... the vaccine is very hard to find in our area (Michigan). I tried ordering it from Randall Burkey, and was told that it was on back order until mid April. Does anyone know of a reliable source in the MidWest, preferably in Michigan?

I just ordered it from Jeffer's supply. If you look up Jeffer's supply it should give you a web site. They carry it for $14.95 and everything you need to go with it. I ordered two, as I have two sets of eggs due to hatch a few days apart. The vaccine only lasts a few hours after you open and mix it. I was told a lot of times people save it and use it later which makes it useless...not taking any chances. Hope this helps, if you can't find the website for Jeffers let me know and I'll look it up.

Well POOP - I am just so confused. These babys were 6 days old when I got them and are now 9 days old. By the time I find it, order it and get them vaccinated they could be a couple weeks old!

As long as it wont hurt them to do it, even if its too late to help, i may just do it anyway. EVERYONE has something different to say and my head is spinning like a top. I would just croak if they all got sick and died.

I only have 6 and my land has never had chickens on it but we do have tons of wild birds....AAAARRRRGHHH!

I read so much and have done so much research...am I'm as confused at one can get. :O) You just do what's best for you and see what happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom