Merging 2 flocks

RoxReck

Chirping
Jan 3, 2022
Last week we merged our old flock of 6, with our new flock of 7.

Before this happened I took these steps.
1) I had a new coop with run set up next to our other coops run, so the girls could see each other through the fence. This lasted about a month.

2) We built another run onto our old coop so the girls would have tons of room.

3) I put food an water in separate areas so the new girls wouldn't be deprived of food or water.

4) I expected that there would be fighting or pecking for the first couple of weeks, so we kept the small coop just in case we had to put a bully in a time out from the flock.

Its been a week. There's is no more fighting against flocks. But, my problem is... All of the old flock constantly gang up on 1 chicken (Raven) from the new flock. Only her. I came into the coop this afternoon, they were onto of her in the corner. I broke it up. But its constantly going on. I was prepared to put a bully in a time out. But all 6 are picking on her. I feel sooo bad for her.

None of the new flock picks on her. They've tried to help her at first, but Don't anymore.

Any advice is welcome. I included a picture of the coop. We do not free range as we live by water with hawks and an eagle.

Any advice is welcome.
Sometimes the fastest way to a peaceful flock is to butcher or sell the victim.

All of the old flock constantly gang up on 1 chicken (Raven) from the new flock. Only her. I came into the coop this afternoon, they were onto of her in the corner. I broke it up. But its constantly going on. I was prepared to put a bully in a time out. But all 6 are picking on her. I feel sooo bad for her.
Maybe put 4 of the 6 bullies in a time out? That might break up the gang.

That would mean separating the chickens back into two groups: a group of 4 old ones, and a group of 2 old ones with all the new ones.

If that doesn't work, maybe split them back up into the old/new groups for a few weeks to let her regain her confidence, then add just one or two of the old ones to the new group.

If you can get her comfortable with all the new ones and a few of the old ones, then you can add a few more of the old ones, and a few more, until the whole group is together again. This would be spread out over several weeks' time, so it's not a quick fix.

Watch carefully - what you generally have is one or two that is willing to start the attack, and the rest join in to be part of the fun. Sometimes pulling two of them will stop the rest.

There is a terrible tendency to want to separate the victim, but eventually one gets tired of that and wants her back in the flock. However, if you do pull the victim and everyone else is happy, that might be the perfect number for that set up, and selling the victim is a good idea. Take a head count, and know that is the number that fits. Some birds are incredibly sensitive to overcrowding, and will get aggressive.

Sometimes, if you remove the victim, they will pick a new victim. If so, then I would try pin-less peepers for a while.

Adding clutter is important, especially as your birds never go out. Do you see how every bird can see every other bird 100% of the time? This does not allow birds to get out of sight and out of mind.

Mrs K

Sometimes the fastest way to a peaceful flock is to butcher or sell the victim.

Maybe put 4 of the 6 bullies in a time out? That might break up the gang.

That would mean separating the chickens back into two groups: a group of 4 old ones, and a group of 2 old ones with all the new ones.

If that doesn't work, maybe split them back up into the old/new groups for a few weeks to let her regain her confidence, then add just one or two of the old ones to the new group.

If you can get her comfortable with all the new ones and a few of the old ones, then you can add a few more of the old ones, and a few more, until the whole group is together again. This would be spread out over several weeks' time, so it's not a quick fix.
That is an awesome idea! Thank you! I will try that. :)

Back
Top Bottom