mericks? can I give anything to discurage more death

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
I think my hen may have Merrick's but she was vaccinated. I thought all was going well now another sick girl. I would take to vet but of coarse we are refinancing and have no funds, any thing I can do to help protect my flock from mysteriousness illness. they act lethargic have trouble walking very shaky stay puffed up. no blood in poo, any ideas? I now have the whole flock on duramiacin and I am praying to borrow funds from mom in law for vet, not much hope there so if you have a good idea I could really use it.....I thought they were fine and no more sickes now this...

anyone there? I know you are all busy I am just looking for ideas to protect my flock if it is mericks I hate flying blind but we do what we have to. I know some of you give a vitamin that helps to discourage mericks what is it and where can i get it. is it affordable...thank you in advance for all your help, I am just kinda nervouse

If your not sure its mareks then I wouldnt assume that it is. It could be something simple. I would separate the sick ones for sure. If you have one pass then I would try getting neucropsy( local ag or vet) to be sure thats what it is. It could something minor. Worms, vitamin defiency or something like that. I think the vaccine is only 90%. I use this link alot to help.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

thank you I know I am just panicking. I tend to do that, sorry I am not a true farmer and I am trying to get a bit more jaded to when they pass or when it is butchrhing time. I am going to give polyvisol with no iron to see if it helps, and if one passes do you know how much it is for otopsy? I will try to borrow from a neighbor she says she is willing to help, God sends good people I hope one day I can do his work. I need to not get so attached to the little thigs but it is hard...

Hi, I would not jump to Marek's. It doesn't sound like it. My chickens that had Marek's did not look sick. And some had paralysis, meaning that they were walking with their wings. The older ones mostly looked good, ate well, but wasted away.

If your chickens look sick, my first thought would be treat for coccidiosis. There is only one type that causes blood in the stool. I would treat them all for cocci. Vitamins sound good.

oh so it could be coxi, I will start that tonight. good info thank you. I will stop the antibiotic and strat coxi med asap.... I got her to eat some vitamens on a piece of bred I will try some more scrambled egg and do the coxi med as well. I am tired and run down to because of the stress of refinancing maybe she can feel my stress
smile.png
now I use sulfadimethoxine soluble powder and I have been told that corrid is better any thoughts on that?

I have always used sulfadimethoxine, and really prefer it. Seems to work faster. I tried Corrid once, and went back to sulfadimethoxine. This is NOT to say that one is better than the other. It's just my preference.

I have the flock on sulfa med and snaper seems to be doing better she ate a bit of layer crumble. it is almost like it hurts her to swallow. I have looked at her crop and don't see a problem. I just told her to drink and eat as much as she can. the others seem fine. I just don't get it...

Back
Top Bottom