Message from my neighbor

Quote:
That is a great point, we would have to do some modifications to our coop to make it predator-proof if we dicided to move (which we were already considering b4 this became a question)

Eh, if there's nothing legally preventing you from having chickens then your neighbor is pretty much plum outta luck. I don't know if I would take the note as a threat, but it would certainly irritate me, to say the least. The fact that he's leaving notes makes me think that he would also do things behind your back to make sure he gets what he wants without having to contact you directly. I work in law enforcement, and it's amazing what lengths people will go to if no face-to-face contact is necessary- put direct contact in there and it significantly reduces any actions by the complainer. People don't like confrontation. I vote go talk to him to let him know he can't walk all over you.

Can you take him an offering of eggs every now and again to keep him appeased?

Quote:
Even if the OP's chickens are legal per zoning, she still may have problems due to noise and odor complaints.

I think you are right about the passive-aggressive types, there seem to be a lot of neighbors like that.

In a perfect world, the OP shouldn't have to appease, but it would be a first good step, at least worth a try.

To the OP: no matter what you do, DEFINITELY document everything, and be sure to keep these notes he is writing (if e-mails, print them out). There are always cranks, no matter how big or small your operation. My grandpa farmed about 1,000 acres in Williams County until he had a stroke in 1989, and he had problems with cranks, so it happens on any scale. Your neighbor may be the type to harass or threaten others, and you have legal rights against this. If your chickens are legal, and he has no valid basis to complain, and continues to do so, I would warn him first that it may constitute harassment, and if that doesn't stop it, turn the tables and call the police on him. As we all know, there are a lot of very unpleasant people out there who seem so threatened by a person keeping chickens, as if its beneath their dignity, when there is no real problem with noise or odor. With the way things are going in this country, it makes me think that, in 5 or 10 years, most of these chicken haters will be wondering where their next meal is coming from -- maybe they should rethink their position instead. You can't eat a Prada handbag or a luxury vehicle or that million dollar home in the fancy suburb.

I have problems with my neighbors and my little farm. I am 100% legal but that does not keep them from calling the town, state and even federal government. I have had so many "inspections" it's not funny.

What I found that works is calling the ACO ahead of time and explain that the neighbor is complaining and possibly causing trouble. After a while the ACO got sick of the neighbors calling in false complaints and told them to stop or be charged for false report. After a while it becomes harassment and can be dealt with in court.

Quote:
^This.

Call and talk to them before he does. It's always best to be the first one. good luck. We had a neighbor like this, we ended up moving.

x2. Once I had someone leave a note in my mailbox about my horse --we only had a shed and not a real barn for her at the time. I called animal control and asked them-they said no big deal. I also had a nice policeman come over to see the note. He said 'apparently somebody doesn't like the way you're taking care of your horse' and he said I should put a sign on my mailbox that said 'I shoot horse thieves' . At least it went on record and made me feel better.

I know how easy it is to get bent out of shape over people being angry with you, I do it all the time. But if you can find it in yourself, I would silmply walk over with a few eggs and tell the man politly that "after researching the subject there are no codes or ordnances against your birds but, you would like him to accept these eggs as a gift, and if the birds are doing anything to bother him to let you know and you will try to take care of the issue to the best of your ability." Kill 'em with kindness as a first step and hope for the best. It may not do much or it may make him a total fan of your birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom