Messed up and lightly bonked an egg setting up for lockdown, possibility of saving?

PHquail

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
I am really upset, and just messed up one of my 12 Mille Fleur eggs. As I was taking my egg turner out and unplugging its cord on lockdown day, the cord bonked an egg and left a small crack/divot on top. I did the first thing that came to mind, ran to the bathroom, and got a dab of "new skin" liquid bandage on it ASAP and let it dry before adding back to the incubator.
Is the chick 100% a goner or will the barrier have small potential of saving it? I only have experience with quail up to this point.

I am really upset, and just messed up one of my 12 Mille Fleur eggs. As I was taking my egg turner out and unplugging its cord on lockdown day, the cord bonked an egg and left a small crack/divot on top. I did the first thing that came to mind, ran to the bathroom, and got a dab of "new skin" liquid bandage on it ASAP and let it dry before adding back to the incubator.
Is the chick 100% a goner or will the barrier have small potential of saving it? I only have experience with quail up to this point.
I don't have experience so hopefully those who know more than me can chime in, but I think your quick thinking is absolute genius and because you got to it right away there is totally a chance of saving it.

Please keep us updated, I'm rooting for the little chickie!

Hopefully the chemicals in the nuskin stuff doesn't kill it.

Candle it, in a dark room, and post a clear picture of it real quick.

Best I have with NR 360 candle. Little crack is on top of air pocket unfortunately.

Attachments

• E5C63834-834C-4A0B-8127-B5EA4E3A3F5E.jpg
    E5C63834-834C-4A0B-8127-B5EA4E3A3F5E.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 6
Best I have with NR 360 candle. Little crack is on top of air pocket unfortunately.
This egg doesn't look like it's any where near ready to hatch. Have you been candling throughout?
When you wiggle it gently while candling does the insides move freely or stay pretty still?

It could be all ready perished if what you say is true. I don't feel comfortable messing with it much more, so I will let it ride and report back in ~4 days and hatch with conclusion.
Hovabator at day 18, set at 99.5, reads at highs of 99.8. Not calibrated, as my available thermometers don't read consistent. Hatches Jumbo Coturnix quail at high rate of ~92% when in season. Shipped eggs. Mille Fleur D'uccle. Set after 24 hours with air sac up in original shipping container.

It could be all ready perished if what you say is true. I don't feel comfortable messing with it much more, so I will let it ride and report back in ~4 days and hatch with conclusion.
Hovabator at day 18, set at 99.5, reads at highs of 99.8. Not calibrated, as my available thermometers don't read consistent. Hatches Jumbo Coturnix quail at high rate of ~92% when in season. Shipped eggs. Mille Fleur D'uccle. Set after 24 hours with air sac up in original shipping container.
It won't hurt to candle it again, it really looks like it quit days ago but pictures aren't always clear. You should be able to tell in person.

I'd be sure to get another thermometer to calibrate before you set eggs again.

Sealed egg didn't make it. Not a great batch of eggs to test this on. I will start candling earlier.
5 fully developed but gave up before hatch. 2 healthy chicks. 5 no-go, either what looked like blood rings or non-fertile.

Got 15 chicks from Ideal Poultry, and am now a happy camper. They sent 2 extra chicks and they came next day.

Back
Top Bottom