Messy eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lynallison, Jan 12, 2016.

1. lynallison

lynallison New Egg

Jan 12, 2016
    New member today but have had chickens for a few years. Still have lots to learn. My mixed flock recently came thru their autumn molt and a few have been laying for 6 weeks or so. My concern is their eggs are incredibly poopy, and it doesn't seem to change. Last summer there wasn't nearly the issue as now. Should I be concerned?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! They could be messing the eggs up when they go in and out of the nest box. Are things quite wet for you? How clean are your nest boxes? If they have dirty feet this could transfer to your eggs. Also if you have any that go in and play in the boxes with the eggs this can also cause poopy eggs. I had one of these last year that could not resist going in and messing about. Have you checked your hens vents? They may need a bit of a clean up if they are a bit poopy around the feathers.

Hope you enjoy BYC, I'm sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

@Yorkshire coop has given you a summary of the most likely causes.

In my case it is usually walking thru poop, poop caught on feathers or a broody hanging out in the nests.

Hope you get this solved soon.

4. lynallison

lynallison New Egg

Jan 12, 2016

Thanks for the ideas. The volume I'm talking about is way more than dirty feet. We've had some wet days and some dry days and I've learned to expect some mildly soiled eggs after a rain. This is big clumps of poop stuck securely to the egg. My nest boxes are lined with pine shavings that I clean out the poop every morning, before most laying begins. And yes, I do have a couple hens with dirty behinds, but they're not the ones laying poopy eggs. I know this because the dirty behinds are on my RIRs and the poopy eggs are white from the leghorns.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are some of your hens sleeping in the nest boxes? That is usually how eggs get all poopy and dirty. Or do you have open top nest boxes and maybe birds roosting over them. That would cause poop to drop onto your eggs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by