Metal corrugated roof! Ugh...

So South East. ;)

Might still be able to utilize them.
Pictures added to post. This is my big girls side. I am planning to add a large window along the back side of coop where chicken door is. That back side has a gutter and is enclosed by tarps. Yes I am 100% positive they are getting dripped on, any movement of coop (shutting the door) causes the ceiling to drip!!!!

Next year I'm tearing off the metal and putting plywood down then the metal. I'm not sure if putting anything over the metal will help as it is sweating inside the coop.
I have this same issue in my pole barn AND open covered run... NO amount of ventilation will fix this issue. And I always mention when I see folks intending to use metal roofing. :he

Research some more before next year... I believe tar paper might be adequate without plywood. I will be doing the same thing in the coming seasons, as it was here when we bought the place. And screws that have gaskets should be placed on the hill not the valleys of the roofing. Definitely considering the foam sheets... as insulation WOULD stop the condensation... that is in my experience caused by a difference in indoor and outdoor temps... especially when the sun is coming up on cold mornings. My pole barn does this even with no animals in it.

Thanks for sharing! :pop

Until you add something to keep the moist air from contacting the cold metal of the roof, you are going to have drips. Can the Styrofoam panels be cut to fit between the roof joists, 2x2 wood strips nailed to the joists will hold them in place.
When you get in your car in the winter and it is really cold out, your windows will fog up from the moisture in your breath. Same with your coop roof - chickens and ducks!! give off alot of moisture.
Are those vent holes in the wall in the first picture? way up by the ceiling.. If so, enlarge them into a rectangle and cover with machine fabric. That looks like a good place to increase your ventilation.

I have this same issue in my pole barn AND open covered run... NO amount of ventilation will fix this issue. And I always mention when I see folks intending to use metal roofing. :he

Research some more before next year... I believe tar paper might be adequate without plywood. I will be doing the same thing in the coming seasons, as it was here when we bought the place. And screws that have gaskets should be placed on the hill not the valleys of the roofing. Definitely considering the foam sheets... as insulation WOULD stop the condensation... that is in my experience caused by a difference in indoor and outdoor temps... especially when the sun is coming up on cold mornings. My pole barn does this even with no animals in it.

Thanks for sharing! :pop
Oh wow, yikes! It is actually really nice here today, but rain and high winds tonight! I have stripped the coop and think I'm going to attempt to wipe off the water and try applying the flex seal then styrofoam sheets. I thought it was only the seams and he didn't leave ANY over hang! Hopefully you will get some advice here too.

Until you add something to keep the moist air from contacting the cold metal of the roof, you are going to have drips. Can the Styrofoam panels be cut to fit between the roof joists, 2x2 wood strips nailed to the joists will hold them in place.
When you get in your car in the winter and it is really cold out, your windows will fog up from the moisture in your breath. Same with your coop roof - chickens and ducks!! give off alot of moisture.
Are those vent holes in the wall in the first picture? way up by the ceiling.. If so, enlarge them into a rectangle and cover with machine fabric. That looks like a good place to increase your ventilation.
It's nice here today, going to try my best to improve it at least some. There are spaces where the corrugated roof waves, but yes I added those circular holes to try and get more ventilation. How large should I make them? I am planning to add a large window on that wall too, but was waiting till next year. Thanks!

Oh wow, yikes! It is actually really nice here today, but rain and high winds tonight! I have stripped the coop and think I'm going to attempt to wipe off the water and try applying the flex seal then styrofoam sheets. I thought it was only the seams and he didn't leave ANY over hang! Hopefully you will get some advice here too.
Mine is NOT leaking... it's just condensation (not caused by animals)... I live on the coast in the Pacific northwest and our humidity is ALWAYS 75-99%. My pole barn and completely open covered (ONLY the top like a patio) run... drip on nice days... NOT when it's raining.

Flex seal is great for leaks... please let me know how it effects condensation. :pop

For the ventilation hole I would cut it about 2 to 3" tall and at least a foot long. High up on the wall like that it will allow the hot moist air out. What direction does your predominant winter wind come from? I would try to put my ventilation holes opposite the direction that the wind comes from so it doesn't blow snow in through the hole.

The flex seal will probably help a bit as it will provide a layer of insulation between the moist air and the cold metal.

Mine is NOT leaking... it's just condensation (not caused by animals)... I live on the coast in the Pacific northwest and our humidity is ALWAYS 75-99%. My pole barn and completely open covered (ONLY the top like a patio) run... drip on nice days... NOT when it's raining.

Flex seal is great for leaks... please let me know how it effects condensation. :pop
Mine doesn't leak per say either, I thought it was the seams WRONG! I only had two cans and one quit working lol, but I have a decent coverage going over where they roost. I will take pictures tomorrow of the treated area and any condensation (cross my fingers there isn't!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom