Metal garbage cans for storage????

i use those trash cans for all my feeds (horse, goat, cow, chicken) and i never leave the bag in. any moisture on your bag from storage or the trip home can spoil your feed. also, by dumping it into the can, i can monitor the quality of the grain from top to bottom while it pours in. if there are any problems (mold, moisture, insects, dry spots) in the center or bottom of the bag, i know immediately instead of when the grain is almost gone and my animals are sick. of course, you should never put new grain on top of old grain. if you have new grain and you're not quite out of the old, just dump the older stuff into a 5 gal. bucket. pour the new stuff in (watching and sniffing as you pour, not zoning out), then put the older grain on top so it gets used first.

i've seen way too many horses get sick and almost die from bad feed to mess around with the quality of my grains.

I have also been using the big popcorn tins picked up fromyard sales and thrift shops for less than a dollar.Ihave small ones for grit and oyster shell. I know they won't last as long as the trash can, but they are so much cheaper- and easier to move-I could leave one in the building if I needed to- and I do keep one in the house with the chick starter in it.

I use a 10 gallon galvenized trash can. It will hold exactly 50# of food. I line it with a trash bag to keep the mosture out of the food. I tried a plastic one for the dog food once, but the coons chewed a hole in it to get to the food so I use metal for everything now.

I have a large chest type freezer that no longer works. It is great for storing lots of feed. I usually buy close to 300 lb at at time and there is plenty of room. I use the metal slice basket for storing my other supplies. Not mice can get in or bugs. Keeps the feed at an even temp due to insulation. I keep my leg bands and all sorts of things in there. Scissors, meds. With the top down it becomes a work table when I am doing things to chickens.

These are old army trash cans my dad painted back in the early 60's. I have been using them for feed storage for years now. No lids, but I have been lucky to not have anything jump in, well, only once. I leave my feed in the bag.

MVC-070S.jpg

Back
Top Bottom