metal or plastic?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pet pal, May 13, 2011.

1. pet pal

pet pal Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Is there anyone out there that have used plastic poultry netting for the chickens in there daytime run. If so can you give me some feedback. also is it a must to bury some sort of wire under ground for daytime run.If so how deep? I have 4 red pullets and 4 black australorps and they are 18 days old today!

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I use plastic netting to keep the chickens in and have no problems. Do bear in mind it will not stop daytime predators. I work at home and am outside all day so it works for me.

3. pet pal

May 5, 2011
    thank you for the repley:)

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    It does work well at keeping the chickens in, but won't keep any predators out. I use min along with 2 x 4 welded wire. PS. Metal chicken wire doesn't keep much out either!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What they said. Plastic will ONLY keep birds in/out, it will do nothing whatsoever against dogs or racoons, not even the fairly heavy-looking plastic stuff.

As far as preventing digging, you *can* bury wire mesh but it needs to go down 18" if you wanna be really fairly *sure* that nothing will dig under, and that's a huge huge amount of work. Alternatively, and virtually-always better IMO because it is EVER so much easier and jsut about as effective, is to run a horizontal apron 2-3' wide of welded wire mesh. You lay it flat on the ground outside the run, SECURELY attach it to the base of the run fence, turn the outer edge down a little so it isn't conspicuous, and then either a) use a lot of landscape pins or tentpegs to secure it, or b) weight it down at strategic locations iwth big heavy rocks or concrete blocks, or c) dump mulch/gravel/stones/dirt/whatever over top of it, or d) peel back the sod before putting down apron, then replace sod over it [that's the hardest way].

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. pet pal

May 5, 2011
    I think I will try laying the mesh flat on the ground,great idea! I also better use a heavy wire I have alot of foxes around the yard!!Thanks for the advice! I will use the plastic for the top of the run:)

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:...where, you realize, it will still let raccoons right thru anytime they want 'in'.

Just making sure you realize this (raccoons are *excellent* climbers, as are possums),

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by