Metal roof question

flyin-lowe

Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2016
Indiana
I am planning a metal roof directly over the rafters in my coop. A couple years ago I had a pole barn built at my house and they used a thin insulation, it looks like bubble wrap that is a silver color on one side, white on the other. They put it down on top of my trusses and the metal was screwed onto it. I was told this keeps the metal from "sweating" and will keep moisture from dripping down into the barn. My coop is going to be 6x8 foot. Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to use some of this stuff under the roof of my coop? Curious if those of you with metal roofs have any type of insulation or not? I figured since the coop is not heated it might not be as prone to sweating as a heated building would that was really warm inside and cold on the outside, or visa versa in the summer. I have a half roll of the stuff left so it won't cost me anything to add it to the coop.

Sweating would indicate insufficient ventilation for that much moisture to build up. I don't think I'd worry much about using the insulation as long as you have good cross-ventilation in your coop.

Depends on your climate and coop site.
Adding your location to your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Metal roof in hot climate with no shade it could really help deflect some heat.

I think I got my location in. I'm in Indiana. The spot I am going to place it will not have a lot of shade during the heat of the day. Other then egg laying do chickens typically spend a lot of time in the coop when it is sunny out? I'm a newbie but assumed that for the most part they would be outside if the weather was nice. I guess I should look at my question from the other side, would there be any reason not to add the thin insulation to the roof?

I think I got my location in. I'm in Indiana. The spot I am going to place it will not have a lot of shade during the heat of the day. Other then egg laying do chickens typically spend a lot of time in the coop when it is sunny out? I'm a newbie but assumed that for the most part they would be outside if the weather was nice. I guess I should look at my question from the other side, would there be any reason not to add the thin insulation to the roof?

Some of our coops have an insulated metal roof. They also have vents, doorways and windows that open, plus I don't keep water in the coop. That is outside in the covered runs. Usually when the door is open the chickens are out and go back in in the evening or to lay.
I think with yesterday's frigid weather that was the first day many stayed in the coop but they did come out some, especially when they heard us outside.

Since I have the stuff on hand I will likely use it. Worst case scenario I can go in with a box cutter and take it out without removing the roof.

No, but unless you have great ventilation and cross breezes(and even if you do) that heated up coop might not cool down quickly at the end of the day.
.....and if it's too hot in coop/nests they may go lay elsewhere.
I added insulation on the south roof of my coop last year because of most the day in full sun, not sure it helped a lot, may add insulation to the south wall this year too.

If you've got the insulation, use it. The metal roof doesn't sweat, it's humid air condensation And a difference in surface temperatures of the metal that causes it to rain inside. I've got two buildings here with metal roofs. One open on one side only, the other on 3 sides. They both drip. So, adequate ventilation is not the answer.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom