Metal roof underlayment placement

mqoh

Chirping
Jan 19, 2023
Lutz, Florida
I've searched YouTube and cannot find an answer. I'm building a coop (no experience) in Florida and have been told that using foam insulation board is good for preventing condensation and it will reflect the heat. But I'm not sure where it goes in the roof sandwich. I saw one where they put underlayment on the rafters, then the purlins on top with metal roofing on top of that? Or do you put the foam board over the purlins with the metal roof directly on top? And do you think a 6.7 foot wide with 7 feet high on one end and 6 feet on the other is enough of a slope for Florida?

I've searched YouTube and cannot find an answer. I'm building a coop (no experience) in Florida and have been told that using foam insulation board is good for preventing condensation and it will reflect the heat. But I'm not sure where it goes in the roof sandwich. I saw one where they put underlayment on the rafters, then the purlins on top with metal roofing on top of that? Or do you put the foam board over the purlins with the metal roof directly on top?
Probably either would work,
but having a space between metal and foam, created by the purlins, might be better.

Not sure if this helps but I just attached metal roofing on top of the plywood, and you can get foam inserts to fit along the edges. hope that helps

If your coop has generous ventilation then there's no need to insulate the metal roof. You can save a lot of money by installing it on purlins and ensuring that there is plenty of airflow moving directly up the slope under the metal.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

You can see my coop in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

I've never had a drop of condensation under my roof and despite it being located in full sun the coop is the coolest place in the yard on a hot day -- due to extreme ventilation, the chimney effect, and the intentional use of my yard's microclimates.

Back
Top Bottom