Metal Roof

I’ve been reading A LOT of threads on here about metal roofs and if plywood is needed or insulation, etc.

I live in Central Arkansas and it gets pretty dang hot and humid here. We have scrap corrugated metal that is about 6’ long and plan to use that as the roof of our coop.

A majority of our coop is being made out of free scrap wood and free 2x4 from construction sites. We plan to have a lot of ventilation around all 4 sides of the coop at the top and most likely some towards the bottom by using hardware mesh.

Our plan is to just put the metal roofing on top of 2x4 but after so much reading it’s hard to determine what is and isn’t necessary when it comes down to the roofing.

From what I gathered as long as we have plenty ventilation we shouldn’t have condensation issues.
Bare metal roof should be OK. Winter you will need to provide heat on extra cold days. Most chickens can stand cold, just can't stand wind and cold. Main problem is large single combs will freeze when it gets below 30 degrees for long periods. The chickens, when roosting, will put their head under their wing to protect from the cold. Feathers are excellent insulation.

Bare metal roof should be OK. Winter you will need to provide heat on extra cold days. Most chickens can stand cold, just can't stand wind and cold. Main problem is large single combs will freeze when it gets below 30 degrees for long periods. The chickens, when roosting, will put their head under their wing to protect from the cold. Feathers are excellent insulation.
We built our metal roof on top of a wood one. The metal was too rusted to keep all the rain out so now we have a tarp on top of the metal 🤦🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom