Metal Roofing For Coop

Mahlzeit

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Long Island NY
I am in the middle of construction of a large coop and have seen pictures on here of people with metal roofing for their coops. Where did you go for the material and did you have it made to size for your coop or did you have to do it yourself? Thanks for your time.

Mine has a metal roof. It is reclaimed roofing ie... used.
DH bought it from his job. I have seen it on craigslist on occasion.
We bought a blade for the circular saw for cutting metal. It worked well enough. It is very noisy when cutting it and we found making a line with marker better than a chalk line since the vibration knocks off the chalk. We bought a piece of ridge for it and had to caulk the holes from the prior use.

I looked but cannot find the other pictures I took. Must be in the other camera.

Larger big box stores (eg. Lowes, Home Depot) sell galvanized and poly-carbonate roofing. You may need to cut your roofing to size depending on the size/shape of your coop. It usually comes in 8 foot and 12 foot lengths. A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will make quick work of galvanized roofing although as a previous poster mentioned, it is ridiculously loud.

I picked up the metal roofing for my run at Lowes. They don't carry it in the store (at least not mine) but it was a special order that had gotten slightly damaged so they clearance priced the panels for 50% off the regular price. I didn't need the whole length, so just used a pair of heavy duty tin snips to cut above the damaged part. It isn't the smoothest of edges, but neither is it very jagged--plus, it's up where no one will ever come in contact with it so I wasn't too concerned.

Thanks very much for your responses. I will check out home depot. I feel the metal roof is a better option for me with the weather and trees here in NY.

The big box stores may be higher than some places. I bought mine at a roofing supplier that buys metal in coils, runs it through a former, and cuts it to custom length. I did buy my screws with rubber washers at Lowes.

I am going to put metal on my coop this summer I will likely but it from Menard's you order it in the length you need. Or if you find a cheap source that's too long I just cut it with a circular saw

Back
Top Bottom