Metal roofs and condensation

I'm having the condensation issue with the metal roofing over the run attached to my coop. Where the roofing overlaps, there is no condensation. When building the run, I wanted to lay plywood with tar paper before the metal roofing which we did do for the coop itself but my DH convinced me it was not necessary for the run....still annoyed with myself for letting him talk me out of it. :barnie

Keep in mind with the poly coragation roof, t hat a falling tree limb of any size is more likely going to puncture it. Had a small deck cover built out of it and many trees with rooting limbs falling.

Yeah, the more I thought about the poly panels the less I felt comfortable about it. I have walnut trees, chestnut trees and oak trees that drop nuts that are like mini-missiles...as well as falling branches...and falling squirrels (one dang near hit me on the head) and I can't forget hail storms.

I wish I had a grasp of the construction trade...and how materials work with each other. I just really, really, really don't want to buy shingles, tar paper and hardware for a roof that won't match any other dang thing on the property....

I'm having the condensation issue with the metal roofing over the run attached to my coop. Where the roofing overlaps, there is no condensation. When building the run, I wanted to lay plywood with tar paper before the metal roofing which we did do for the coop itself but my DH convinced me it was not necessary for the run....still annoyed with myself for letting him talk me out of it. :barnie
I just slapped my metal roofing over 2x4s on my run roof. All 4 sides of the run are wide open chain link fence. I noticed some sweating on the roof but figured it was in the run and I wasn't overly concerned about it.

Okay...this picture is what is going on in my little bookkeeper/non-construction head...except the tar paper in the picture would be Blackjack 57....

Painted plywood on inside side of plywood, Blackjack 57 on outside side of plywood, wooden strips, then metal roofing....

Would my theory work for all aspects of condensation prevention on the inside as well as rot prevention on the outside?

0.jpg

I found some stuff laying around in an opened box..."RoofAquaGuard" and "Dry-TEch Thermal Break Roll Roofing Underlayment" written on the box...it's like a mesh type stuff. What's that? lol

That goes under tarpaper roll roofing, no shelf life it is good forever. Instead of blackjack57 you could also consider flexseal on your plywood it is basically liquid rubber so you get great waterproofing and insulation.
I Googled... Here's a link to what I have... I don't know how old the stuff I have is... Is there a "shelf-life"? The battered box is covered in what looks like 100 years of dust...the roll itself isn't terribly dirty...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RoofAqu...Roofing-Underlayment-RFAQGD-DRYTECH/207088786

That goes under tarpaper roll roofing, no shelf life it is good forever. Instead of blackjack57 you could also consider flexseal on your plywood it is basically liquid rubber so you get great waterproofing and insulation.
It goes under tar paper? Well that's just silly...lol No wonder it's still in the box...

I know, I've got some too and its still in a dirty old box just like yours. I ended up just coating the underside of my roofing with that flexseal stuff. It worked, had to do it very early so the coop could air out stuff is a little stinky.
It goes under tar paper? Well that's just silly...lol No wonder it's still in the box...

Back
Top Bottom