Metal Shed\Coop ordered + Texas

Winter lows normally around 20-30 but that’s only a couple days here and there. Average temp is about 40s. ( but we have had years where all winter was 20-30) summer highs normally hit about 105 and on bad days as high as 110-112
Where I lived for the past 20 years had similar highs in dry conditions. My girls lived in a wooden coop but spent all their time out of it in those temps. Having "through the coop" ventilation was a lifesaver - literally.

Now, I live where it's about 10 degrees cooler in the summers. But my spoiled chickens have AC in their coop. Smh.

Winter lows normally around 20-30 but that’s only a couple days here and there. Average temp is about 40s. ( but we have had years where all winter was 20-30) summer highs normally hit about 105 and on bad days as high as 110-112
20's and 30's hardly qualify as cold for chickens. They might be a little slower to come out in the morning but once they get moving it will just be another day. 110* on the other hand can kill them. They will stop laying and they will suffer. Build for the summer. You can always add plastic or canvas sides that you can drop or roll up as the weather dictates. I use 3 sided loafing sheds for my goose house and for a pullet grow out coop. I have 10 week old pullets out off heat in one of them and we will not see night time temperatures about freezing for months.

That puts you squarely in "wire box with some shelter from storm winds" territory. :)

You'll want to look through the coop pages for "open air coops"

Yeah.... then no reason to ever close stuff up...

Lots of ventilation is great

I’d remove the inside wall. Also, make sure to position the shed so it will provide maximize shade for the birds during the afternoon sun. To save some cash, just position the roosts low enough (3’) that the chickens can’t reach the ceiling. Same can be done for the upper half of the walls. That will save you a few sheets of plywood. The lower half of the walls will definitely need the plywood though.
Thank you and I went with your idea. Today the shed was sprayed with closed cell 2lb foam on all metal walls\ceiling. The window is facing due North (used a compass). I have North & South winds almost constantly here in the Marion. Still need to do the interior wood panels and build accordingly as you stated. Keeping the foam out of reach from them. Then to build the front and removable so I can clean it out with a tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_073420509.jpg
    IMG_20210321_073420509.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210406_125300284.jpg
    IMG_20210406_125300284.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thank you and I went with your idea. Today the shed was sprayed with closed cell 2lb foam on all metal walls\ceiling. The window is facing due North (used a compass). I have North & South winds almost constantly here in the Marion. Still need to do the interior wood panels and build accordingly as you stated. Keeping the foam out of reach from them. Then to build the front and removable so I can clean it out with a tractor.
Looking good!

So I ended up having to purchase one sheet of 1/4" plywood ($30) to finish the protective foam barrier. The rest of the pieces were just eating up shop space. The roost is mounted to the 2x2 metal frames with door hinges. The roost bars are 2x2 wrapped with manila rope (finishing the bottom one today). Suspended by chain to handle the load and can be hung up for cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_201218356.jpg
    IMG_20210410_201218356.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hopefully today we will be placing not only the big flock in the coop. But the 5 week old's as well inside this area for them to start getting acquainted. Not sure if that is high enough though to keep the bigger ones from flying over the fence. You can also see the privacy wall for the girls when they are sleeping. My thought process is to stop any winds that may blow across the roost bars. Not 100% sure how that will work out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_201300285.jpg
    IMG_20210410_201300285.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom