Metal Shed\Coop ordered + Texas

Purchased 40 bags of Texas Hardwood Mulch and it looks like I need to purchase another 40 bags to get the 10" (give or take) that I am after. The front frame needs to be removable for a tractor to get inside and remove the compost. This should only happen once a year but we shall see. Each corner has a 5" galvanize 3/8 carriage bolted to the frame. To save weight, we used decking boards to frame it out. Left & right sides will have welded wire & hardware cloth down lower. The middle will be a 36" door covered in 1/2 hardware cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_201201199.jpg
    IMG_20210410_201201199.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 26
I ordered a 10x20 utility shed as wood here is Hill Country Texas doesn't last very long. Not sure why I didn't cruise the forums before making the order as it has been months since I joined. I found one post were people recommend the three sided metal coup in Texas due to the heat issue. So it isn't to late to have the inside wall removed.
If not, then I can spray foam the ceiling and walls, then wrap plywood around the inside so they don't peck at it.
Thoughts?
Having lived from Michigan, -50F to +104F at 100% humidity.. -12F to -20F is pretty standard in winter and +104F to even +108F once I think with 100% humidity for a week or two.. Harder on me than the chickens.. I like -0F and below.. Doesn't feel as cold... To Florida, which makes MI hot and humid a walk in the park.. and Arizona, +125F two weeks in July.. Lots of second degree burns just laying your arm out the window. That steel could cook an egg, literally.. It cooked me. I use wood and metal combo. Making sure to cover the steel roof with some none heat conductive material. I used pool liner material. It's like flat rubber roofing.. made a big difference.. White in color would be a plus. Don't see why wood would be more of an issue in Hill Country Texas than in MI.. Paint each piece of wood.. before assembling if you want to gain an extra edge. Would think roof covering is important in Texas sun.. Which to me feels like being microwaved.. The cover turned my oven to a more tolerable sauna..

Last edited:
Winter lows normally around 20-30 but that’s only a couple days here and there. Average temp is about 40s. ( but we have had years where all winter was 20-30) summer highs normally hit about 105 and on bad days as high as 110-112
20 - 30 is nothing for chickens even in a open coop, but I would block the wind some.. 105, 110 -112 calls for shade in the dry Texas sun.. Umbrella perhaps.. Have thought of building a short open roof on the sunny side for shade, but have large trees and shadow of the north side of the house.. Till the sun is high and to the west..

Purchased 40 bags of Texas Hardwood Mulch and it looks like I need to purchase another 40 bags to get the 10" (give or take) that I am after. The front frame needs to be removable for a tractor to get inside and remove the compost. This should only happen once a year but we shall see. Each corner has a 5" galvanize 3/8 carriage bolted to the frame. To save weight, we used decking boards to frame it out. Left & right sides will have welded wire & hardware cloth down lower. The middle will be a 36" door covered in 1/2 hardware cloth.
It's groovy, but if I get so many chickens as to have too make room for my tractor and 80 bags of wood chips. (But do envy your tractor plans..) My plan is a #2 shovel, a wheelbarrow and my back.. and I would no longer be know as the Chicken Man, but the Crazy Chicken Guy.. Well done.

It's groovy, but if I get so many chickens as to have too make room for my tractor and 80 bags of wood chips. (But do envy your tractor plans..) My plan is a #2 shovel, a wheelbarrow and my back.. and I would no longer be know as the Chicken Man, but the Crazy Chicken Guy.. Well done.
Several YT video's out there of people taking advantage of their chickens for gardening. I am getting into permaculture as well as gardening now for about 3 years. So I am trying to design it to work for multiple uses. Currently I have them in a tiny coop I built awhile ago. They don't seem to bicker much when they go to bed. Then they play on this pile of organic left over from cleaning up the property. I am going to move this pile over by the coop. Then have a small door that they can go out and continue working this pile.

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_124940929.jpg
    IMG_20210322_124940929.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 25
Several YT video's out there of people taking advantage of their chickens for gardening. I am getting into permaculture as well as gardening now for about 3 years. So I am trying to design it to work for multiple uses. Currently I have them in a tiny coop I built awhile ago. They don't seem to bicker much when they go to bed. Then they play on this pile of organic left over from cleaning up the property. I am going to move this pile over by the coop. Then have a small door that they can go out and continue working this pile.
Have thought of fencing in the garden and turning chickens loose in the Spring, Too till the soil, pull weeds and eat hatchling bugs.. Haven't done so as wire ain't cheap and I am.. Can't let em' run loose in growing season as they will eat my tomatoes..

I would hold off on the next 40 bags. Refresh the litter with a few bags here and there. Is there such a thing as Christmas tree mulch giveaways? Get a dump truck load.
Once again, well done.

Took most of the day to complete closing in the front. The door frame wood has a couple warped pieces. couple sizes of wood and a mixture of wood screws holding it together. We built the door frame in place and used pocket hole + wood glue. Seems sturdy enough, well see how it holds up. Still need to put down wire around the outside of the coop, we did the front while building it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_171642620.jpg
    IMG_20210411_171642620.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210411_171716414.jpg
    IMG_20210411_171716414.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom