Method for euthanizing chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to cull two day old chicks whose feet were severely deformed. I find that the quickest and most humane way to euthanize a baby chick is to drop it in the tolet and flush immediately. I hate having to euthanize but this seems to be the quickest and most effective way for young chicks. I always struggle with the loss. Sorry to hear about everyones loss.

ep.gif

Quote:
ep.gif

Humane for WHO???? NOT the chick!!! Maybe if you flush it away and don't have to see it struggle to breathe as it drowns, as it goes through plumbing pipes and is deposited into your septic tank, maybe it is humane for YOU, but my gosh that is a horrific way to cull a chick!!!
hit.gif

wow... all this makes me miss my Father even more dearly
sad.png
he was such a loving and caring man, since we grew up poor we couldn't afford to go to the vet and he would take care of the dirty work swiftly. It takes so much strength to be able to do this. He had to quickly kill a batch of sick, inbred, kittens with breathing problems... I remember that day... there we were three girls under 14 years of age crying over these baby kittens that were having so much trouble breathing, we kept taking droppers and trying to aspirate for them so he calmly confiscated the babies and went out back to the fields where we heard him crush them with two giant bricks
sad.png
of course when you are 14 you don't see it being a good thing but when we got older we appreciated what he would do... he also had to kill our only two year old hen after a rat viciously attacked her and left her all gored up.. Meh! Why am I even thinking about this! It's soo morbid! but I suppose it's always something to consider. Poor animals. But that's life.

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:
ep.gif

Humane for WHO???? NOT the chick!!! Maybe if you flush it away and don't have to see it struggle to breathe as it drowns, as it goes through plumbing pipes and is deposited into your septic tank, maybe it is humane for YOU, but my gosh that is a horrific way to cull a chick!!!
hit.gif

I agree!​

Quote:
OMG!!!! are you out of your mind?? That is the worst, sickest, and most disturbing method I have ever heard of! That is NOT humane one bit-its the quickest method for you and the most inhumane thing to do for the chick! I hope to heck you are kidding if not I suggest you keep your methods of euahtnaizing to yourself unless you want complete scrutany from all of us on this matter!

Last edited:
BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:
ep.gif

hit.gif

I gotta say, it's drowning, it's not quick! I nearly drowned once - after the sheer terror and struggling, it became pleasant. Gotta say though it's the sheer terror that stays with me.

However, at least you take responsibility for your livestock, cull them quickly, and care about them! All of the options are sad.
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom