methods to make a hen broody have any

They are either prone to going broody or not. I have an Orpington who will lay around 10 eggs before going broody. I don't bother breaking her because she'd just lay another 10 and go broody. I'm not going to battle nature, especially not in her case.

Some breeds, especially bantams, are known for being broody. My OEGBs are often broody as are my Pekin/Cochin bantams and Booted bantam. My Silkie isn't all that broody but she's got a bit of competition in the bantam coop so maybe she just can't be bothered with all that drama! :lol:

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree broody is hormonal... some will some won't, regardless of breed... There seems to always be exceptions. But a broody breed can be helpful.

Anyways, to me there ARE a couple things you can do to encourage broodiness IF a girl is going to.. 1) Nutrition, provide a higher protein formula than layer. 20% seems good for a lot of breeds. And feeding this way, my broody's know no season like they would in the wild when food supply is low! I had girls in the breaker all winter long. :barnie 2) Space. Enough space to keep flock dynamics subdued and no bullying. 3) Security. A nice safe nest (only a fake egg or 2 left behind to show it isn't getting raided). And minimizing predator load.

My Silkies and Marans have been the broodiest of my breeds. But also had Swedish Flower, hatchery barred Rock and buff Orpington go broody.

I thought it would be almost impossible to get the blessing of a broody when I first started. Now I spend time hoping I don't have to deal with yet ANOTHER broody! So it can happen for you, just be patient. ;)

I'd take a broody in a second. I bought '13 speckled sussex pullets' last year. Wound up with 13 brown leghorns. 5 were roosters. I was not happy, but they have grown on me. :) A broody would make life much easier right now but leghorns are not known for broodiness. Though there was that one hen when I was a child....lol. Wishful thinking.

I've found some breeds better than others. My Wyandottes are always going broody. My Speckled Sussex just went broody this week. Of course, silkies, though I've never had one of those myself.

I agree that broodiness is hormonal, but some of my past experience has shown that not collecting all the eggs from a suspect hen helps. But you really have to pay attention to their body language to see if they are 'thinking about' brooding. My past ones would change their tone of chatter, linger over the nest longer or start scouting out new hidey holes. They didn't always go broody with not taking eggs, but usually did. And definitely on her own schedule. lol.

Back
Top Bottom