Metzer ducklings have arrived!! (UPDATE W/ PICS!!!)

Bring

Songster
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
New Mexico
Well they are here! Unfortunatly one perished but the other nine are doing great! I'll post pics a bit later. ( sorry to disapoint). They are in a homemade brooder with food and water and a light for heat. They are eating and drinking. I've had to refill their water twice now. Quick question about the light. Do they need the light on all night? It's a dome light with a 100wt bulb in it. They are cuties. I wasn't expecting them to be so small though. They are so tiny. When can my children handle them? My kids are gentle with animals and will be supervised. Will the ducklings get sick if handled to much during this time? They were hatched Monday so they are only two days old. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Think you can handle all this cute??

36911_ducklings_020.jpg

My two cayugas and three chocolate runners. Two of the runners are going to their new home today and we will be keeping the other three.

36911_ducklings_018.jpg

One of the chocolates. She's so cute!!

36911_ducklings_008.jpg

36911_ducklings_013.jpg

Brooder set up.

Last edited:
Should have the light for warmth at all times until they decide to move away from the light. The ducks will continue to be drawn to the heat as long as they need it.

What breed are they? Cannot wait to see pics!!!

I have 1 Cayuga drake, 1 Cayuga duck, 1 chocolate Indian runner duck. The others belong to two other people who went in on an order with me.

Yes I agree, they need light all the time, or rather heat all the time. I put in a little open ended cardboard box in our brooder so mine could chose to have darkness if they wanted but still be warm
smile.png
They are sooo cute! My 3 yr. daughter helped me hatch the eggs we picked up from Metzer and she handled them regularly, under supervision from the hour they were fluffy and dry out of the bator. No problems. Just be careful letting them follow you around, it would be so easy to accidently step on one if they take to running after your feet. The more they are handled the better I say, they grow up much friendlier that way
smile.png

Let the kids handle them often. Just make sure they don't get chilled and you supervise the play time. The more they are handled now the friendlier they will be as adults.

Back
Top Bottom