Metzer farms? or McMurry hatchery?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Ok, so next spring I want to get a pekin trio a mlard trio a buff pair and a black swedish pair, im only keeping two ducks and selling the rest. But which hatchery do I choose from???

Thanks!

I added up the pricess and McMurry hatchery costs $79.55 for the ducks, the sexing price, and shipping. Metzer farms costs $78.60 for the ducks, sezing price, and shipping. I dont care which one I order from at this point, I just want to know whos better? I have ordered from metzer, but does mcmurry have healthy birds to?

We ordered from mcmurray this year and lost one of our ducks two days in and one of our turkeys. Although they gave us a price reduction for our next order to cover the loss, we couldn't get another duck to replace the one we lost without buying another two. And they were not nice or helpful when we called. No experience with the other.

I ordered 3 sexed female welsh harlequins with my white and golden layer hybrids from metzer. Strangely, I lost one harlequin at 2 days, and the other two never really flourished and grew like my other dozen ducklings of the same age. One only made it a week, and my third finally died at two weeks when it was half the size of all the other ducks (despite force feeding, pro biotics, etc-probably the only reason she made it that long.) I reported it to Metzer The day I lost the third one, I was advised it was probably a case of failure to thrive and I sent him an email letting him know in case other people had viability problems with that clutch of eggs too. He responded by shipping out 3 replacement ducklings (sexed females, exactly what I ordered, including the gro-gel)-- much later than his live delivery guarantee was valid. No one else reported any problems with that hatch, so it seems I was just unlucky.

John Metzer will always have a customer in me
smile.png
His customer service is above and beyond.

My shipment was delayed an extra day, so I lost one of my replacement babies, but it won't be any problem to have one added to a later shipment (fine by me, fine by them. I've got my eye on some cayugas) I just wish he sold domestic turkeys! Then I'd never have to order birds from anywhere else.

Last edited:
Oh how sad! My ducks came perfectly healthy. I even told john metzer how much I like them! Did you know hes on BYC? I PMed him. His user is Metzer farms.

I have my eye on quite a few ducks, but cant make up my mind. I didnt even think of cayugas! I had one omce that I was in love with. Maybe I will get a pair. I dont know urg why does this need to be so hard!

Back
Top Bottom