Meyer Chicks - Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bowen012, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Mixed batch of chicks from Meyer hatched on September 9th. Order was only suppose to have 1 rooster (faverolles), but I suspect my Cuckoo Marans and White Rock may be male also. Thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its still a bit young to tell for sure; I would post new photos in a few weeks. However, I agree with you that your Cuckoo Marans is looking somewhat rooster like with those thick legs, tall stance, and reddening comb. Your White Rock could be a rooster, too, but I'm going to say pullet for now.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your Cuckoo Marans and White Rock do have rather large combs for their age, but the combs aren't so red and large yet that I think they are males. White Rocks are a fast maturing breed, so they often develop combs a little quicker. Post some more photos in a few weeks to have another opinion. As of now, I think its likely that you have two pullets.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not seeing anything screaming rooster at this point, but they're young yet. Post again in 3ish weeks for a recheck.

5. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    White Plymouth Rock - hatched 9/9/13. Hen or Roo?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Salmon Faverolle Cockerel - hatched 9/9/13. Just included him since there had been a few on BYC who were curious about Meyer Faverolles.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Buff Polish - hatched 9/9/13. Ordered a pullet, but wouldn't even know how to begin sexing these things. Hen or Roo?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Meyer Meal Maker - hatched 9/9/13. Breed/Gender?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Cuckoo Marans - hatched 9/9/13. Hen or Roo?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Salmon Faverolle Pullet - hatched 9/9/13. Like the male SF above, just displaying it here for a sample of Meyer stock.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree that your WR and CM are males. They have HUGE legs.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, it does look like your WR and CM are male at this point. If I were you, I'd give Meyer a call. They have amazingly friendly customer service and will give you your money back no questions asked, most likely.

8. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I cant comment on any except the polish. I have a female and male polish, both are 13 weeks old. Yours looks like a female. The feathers at the top are full and rounded. The male polish are easy to tell early and have spikey head feathers from the beginning. They dont have a FULL set of feathers-look more like mohawks. So female![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by