Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

These are my Meyer hatchery girls. Year old white Cochin (who I've posted about before). She is talkative and lays pretty consistently. The rest are 4 1/2 months old (Swedish flower hen, blue splash Marans, and silver penciled rock). All have great temperaments.

These are my Meyer hatchery girls. Year old white Cochin (who I've posted about before). She is talkative and lays pretty consistently. The rest are 4 1/2 months old (Swedish flower hen, blue splash Marans, and silver penciled rock). All have great temperaments.

I love your bunch. I had a splash ameraucana. I love the look of the splash. And the silver penciled rock is on my list for my next order!

I know these are not great pictures. I only get my birds from Meyer. Since they are located in Ohio, they are closer to me that Murray McMurray, I LOVE their pricing, they have a very nice selection. The only birds from them that I have had a problem with is my Silver Laced Wyandottes. I ordered 3 SLW roosters and 5 SLW hens. One hen has a single comb(Will not be able to breed her) and the other has a eye that has a pupil that is slitted like a cat. I will not breed her either. So out of five, I have 3 that I will breed. I am sure they will both be good layers, but I do NOT want to breed those genes. I am going to just put together some albums on my profile, but have not gotten around to it yet. I have a good friend that ordered 50 poults from Meyer and within a week, she only had 6 that were still alive. So I do not approve of that, she is a expert animal caretaker, so I am sure it was not negligence on her part. And the six that are left are VERY stunted.

Great thread! I have really enjoyed looking at the pics on this thread and pulled the trigger today with my 1st meyer hatchery order. I ordered 3 blue cochin, 2 easter eggers, 2 polish, 2 salmon favorelle, and 1 white sultan. I expect to receive them on the 31st, so look forward to posting pics of my own.
big_smile.png

Congratulations! I have/had all of those from Meyer except the Cochins (and I think the cochins are so cute, I can't wait to see yours!), and they are great. My Polish and Sultan are only 7 weeks old now, so no word on the egg laying yet, but they sure are cute and sweet. My EEs are great layers and very striking (my 7 year old is still laying well, except at the moment, since she is molting), and my Salmon Fav from several years ago was friendly and outgoing, and a decent layer. Please do post pics when you get them!

CuzChickens, I am surprised to hear about your friend's experience. I've gotten about 20 chicks from Meyers over the course of several years, and I've never (knock on wood!!) had any chick losses.

I am questioning the sex of two of my current chicks, though. The Olive Egger is looking pretty masculine, and I noticed today that the Light Brahma's comb is looking suspiciously red at 7 weeks. I'm still holding out hope for girls, but not entirely optimistic. I had a very good run with getting all girls in my sexed pullets from Meyers for several years, but then there was the one roo last year and two possible cockerels this year.... I hate the nervous watching and waiting to see if I'm going to have to rehome the chicks I was so excited to get.

milleralexis94,lovely flock! I have been eyeing the silver pencilled rocks, so it's neat to see yours. :)

I just accidentally ordered 5 more chicks to arrive in October.... and by accidentally I mean on purpose... just impulsively.
1f602.png
1f602.png

4 gorgeous breeds I have wanted since last year and 1 free chick. Kinda excited though tbh.

And if we're being entirely honest it wasn't entirely impulsive... I've been wanting to hit order and adding and removing them to and from my cart for days soooo
tongue.png
plus like I said I've wanted them for a long time and they were sold out last year when I got my first. And I've actually checked the site trying to order them off and on through this year too and they were always sold out. They were FINALLY available. Some limited availability. So I just haaaaaddddd to...... right???

1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Meyer Meal Maker (free chick).

I didn't originally want the Partridge Rock but they're gorgeous. And I wanted to add Buff Brahma and another Barred Rock a few days ago but decided I should only get 4 more birds. Then I wanted a Brahma rooster but and almost added it tonight but decided we can't have one no matter how badly I want one. What's funny though is I decide I can only add 4 more... yet can't resist the Meyer Meal Maker...

I got one last year and I can't wait to see the surprise. Last year I got 2 each of Barred Rock (1 died at 6 days), Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Easter Egger, so the free chick was an easy choice, they just added another Buff Orp, which I was glad about, but this year because I got 4 different breeds and somewhat rarer or at least less availability breeds and stuff I have no clue what the free chick will be. Could be anything. So I can't wait to see what it is. That's part of why I ordered it. Can't resist surprise
1f602.png

Ordered from Meyer Hatchery again. And similar time. My current 8 I got October 26th hatch date, this year is October 11. Latest available date atm. But yeah.t
I SHOULD NOT BE READING THIS THREAD!!!! I want to go and place an order of Blue Copper Marans, Blue Ameraucanas, Swedish Flower hens, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Silver Penciled Rock, and a few of the rare breed assortment (Plus the Meyer Meal Maker) I had really high hopes for my first order and I had a LOOONG list of rare and semi rare birds I was going to get, but I waited too late to order and I did not get half of what I wanted. I started with Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons (they sent me one more than I ordered and one died at about a week old) Silver Laced Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Wellsummers, and the Meal Maker, which turned out to be a Leghorn. Then for my birthday, my brother gave me Golden Laced Wyandottes and Partridge Rocks and the meal maker turned out to be another Golden Laced Wyandotte. And BTW, has anybody here ordered the Rare Breed Assortment? What did they get? Was it worth your money?

Congratulations!  I have/had all of those from Meyer except the Cochins (and I think the cochins are so cute, I can't wait to see yours!), and they are great.  My Polish and Sultan are only 7 weeks old now, so no word on the egg laying yet, but they sure are cute and sweet.  My EEs are great layers and very striking (my 7 year old is still laying well, except at the moment, since she is molting), and my Salmon Fav from several years ago was friendly and outgoing, and a decent layer.  Please do post pics when you get them! 

CuzChickens, I am surprised to hear about your friend's experience.  I've gotten about 20 chicks from Meyers over the course of several years, and I've never (knock on wood!!) had any chick losses.  

I am questioning the sex of two of my current chicks, though.  The Olive Egger is looking pretty masculine, and I noticed today that the Light Brahma's comb is looking suspiciously red at 7 weeks.  I'm still holding out hope for girls, but not entirely optimistic.  I had a very good run with getting all girls in my sexed pullets from Meyers for several years, but then there was the one roo last year and two possible cockerels this year....  I hate the nervous watching and waiting to see if I'm going to have to rehome the chicks I was so excited to get.

milleralexis94,lovely flock!  I have been eyeing the silver pencilled rocks, so it's neat to see yours. :)

Don't stress over the light brahma yet! I've gotten two in two differ orders and for some reason they are always the one I'm worried is male. So far so good. Of all 12 chicks I've ordered, all have been female. I've also only had one DOA and one that needed a little help pulling through.

Thanks, Christine! That's good to hear--maybe Meyer's Brahmas tend to look a little boyish? I will keep some hope alive! I wasn't worried about the Brahma at all until I noticed his/her comb looking pinker than my other 7.5 week olds yesterday. So I checked BYC, and since Brahmas are late maturing, it seemed like the general consensus was a reddish comb at 7 weeks almost certainly meant cockerel. I took a few pics yesterday:

Group shot of 7.5 week chicks to show Magnolia's slow feathering and size:

Magnolia comb close-ups

This is not his/her normal stance--I took Magnolia over to the swingset for better light for pics, which s/he found very alarming. But still, look at the fluffball tail sticking straight up, when s/he's standing at attention. And the color? Is all that black any indication of a male? I really hope Magnolia is a girl, because I think s/he's really striking. I love the seriously feathered legs.

Last edited:
I SHOULD NOT BE READING THIS THREAD!!!! I want to go and place an order of Blue Copper Marans, Blue Ameraucanas, Swedish Flower hens, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Silver Penciled Rock, and a few of the rare breed assortment (Plus the Meyer Meal Maker)  I had really high hopes for my first order and I had a LOOONG list of rare and semi rare birds I was going to get, but I waited too late to order and I did not get half of what I wanted.  I started with Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons (they sent me one more than I ordered and one died at about a week old) Silver Laced Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Wellsummers, and the Meal Maker, which turned out to be a Leghorn.  Then for my birthday, my brother gave me Golden Laced Wyandottes and Partridge Rocks and the meal maker turned out to be another Golden Laced Wyandotte.  And BTW, has anybody here ordered the Rare Breed Assortment?   What did they get? Was it worth your money?

You should definitely place it! My first order i wasn't really thinking entirely rare, just good layers and friedly, but i did want Wyandottes, they were sold out at the time though. I too started out with buff orpingtons and black australorps as well as barred rock and easter eggers. That was nice of your brother! How are your Wyandottes?

Thanks. I'm very excited about getting these chicks and will be sure to post pics! I've wanted a blue cochin for quite a few years now, but have not had much say in breeds since all have come from local rescue group or neighbors. We have 3 red sex link, 1 RIR, 1 buff orph, 1 golden laced wyandotte and 2 EEs. They are a nice group, but older and starting to lose them one at a time. This new group of chicks will be so fun and the funky variety and mellow temperaments will better compliment our muscovy and dewlap toulouse flocks. I can hardly wait!

Back
Top Bottom