Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

So sad today.
1f641.png
We had what looks like a raccoon attack in the early hours of this morning--Petunia (cuckoo Marans) and Nigella (black australorp) were killed. All my fault--I forgot to make sure the coop door was locked last night. I had mostly just been in the habit of closing it every night to deter rodents. I had never seen or heard of raccoons in our neighborhood--so although I knew it was a possibility, I didn't think it was a major threat. I mean, we built the coop very strong and secure with raccoons in mind, but there just didn't seem to be any around, so I let my guard down. I always focused on the hawk threat. My poor girls.
1f614.png
1f622.png
It won't happen again.
1f641.png
1f620.png

So sad today.
1f641.png
We had what looks like a raccoon attack in the early hours of this morning--Petunia (cuckoo Marans) and Nigella (black australorp) were killed. All my fault--I forgot to make sure the coop door was locked last night. I had mostly just been in the habit of closing it every night to deter rodents. I had never seen or heard of raccoons in our neighborhood--so although I knew it was a possibility, I didn't think it was a major threat. I mean, we built the coop very strong and secure with raccoons in mind, but there just didn't seem to be any around, so I let my guard down. I always focused on the hawk threat. My poor girls.
1f614.png
1f622.png
It won't happen again.
1f641.png
1f620.png

Sorry to hear this. It is always hard to lose one, no matter what the cause.

Thanks, Christine. I really appreciate your thoughts. :) I know this thread has been slow, but I have been tormented by this loss, so I had to come back today and post this update I just got--a picture of the culprit!

(Ignore the time and date stamp, obviously wrong--this was at about 3AM.)

We have the coop locked up tight now, and as far as I can tell it is very secure, so I think my girls are pretty safe as long as they're inside--which they are between about 8pm and 10am. I also leave my dogs out to watch over them most of the day (and especially in the early evening) when they are out. We have still tried unsuccessfully several nights to trap the killer. Although I don't have a trapped coon, at least this camera we set up confirmed there is one snooping around! It doesn't seem very intent on getting in--there was just this one shot of it--but I'd still rather have it gone!

In better news, I did just get a whole bunch of new chicks from Meyer. Eight, to be exact. The three week old girls are a Blue Copper Marans, Silver Gray Dorking, Light Brahma, Buff Laced Polish, and Sultan. And today I got three more! A Black Copper Marans, Olive Egger, and Lavender Orpington. I am excited to watch them grow! I will come post cute baby pics when I can!

At least you know what you're dealing with! It makes it easier to figure out what to do next.

Can't wait to see chick pics!!!!! I had to cancel my order, so I'm ready to live vicariously through others. The light brahmas have been my favorite. I just lost my lav orp a few weeks ago. I think it was a combination of 100* temps and bullying. She was very sweet and quite pretty.

Oh, Christine, I'm so sorry to hear about your Lavender Orpington girl!!
1f622.png
It really is always hard to lose one.

So, we caught a possum in our trap last night, first time I've seen one of those around here. We are in the city, but in a quiet area close to a huge wooded park, so I guess we get a little of everything. Hawks, raccoons, groundhogs, possum, rabbits, wild turkey, the occasional deer, and I've heard there are even foxes right nearby. We'll have to try for a raccoon again next.

I'm on my phone and I don't know how to post pics here with the phone, so I'll come back with pics when I'm on my computer.

Christine, I'm interested to hear why the light brahmas have been your favorite. I've just always thought they were so pretty, always looked at them longingly during past orders, so I finally gave in and included one on my little buying spree.
1f60a.png
She's so cute now, 3 weeks old and the only one with a mostly baby fuzz left, which makes her look like a giant monster baby with massive t-Rex gams next to the other sleek and feathery 3 week babies. I knew they were slow to mature but it's just funny to see in person.

Ok, here are a few pics!

The gang of 5:

Left to right, that's:
Magnolia, the Light Brahma; Snowdrop, the Sultan; Iris, the Blue Copper Marans; Buttercup, the Buff Laced Polish, and; Juniper, the Silver Gray Dorking.

Iris and Magnolia:

Snowdrop and Buttercup:

Juniper and Iris:

And here they are more recently--not great pics, still have to get better birthday shots, but it's something:

I haven't had a crested breed before--they weren't really on my short list based on laying frequency and looks (I was going more for classic than cute), but I did always have a soft spot for the "Big Bird" looking buff Polish, and I found Meyer's picture of the Sultan hen really beautiful. And now I have so many chickens I'm not as focused on laying frequency, and I really wanted more than one white egg layer (the first one being my Dorking). So here we are, with Snowdrop and Buttercup. I have to say the Sultan seems to be the most calm, docile, and friendly of the bunch so far. She seems content to be picked up and held, where the others are more inclined to run from our hands and peep loudly or try to return to the other chicks at first when picked up. Plus, her massively feathery feet and hocks are just adorable. On the flip side, I'm worried she may be so passive that she'll be extra vulnerable to predation when she gets older--I'll have to keep an eye on her.

I haven't gotten any great group pics of the newest 3 girls yet--I have to work on that tomorrow before they stop looking like little fuzzballs.

Ok, I'm back with more pics!

Introducing...

Nigella (Black Copper Marans), Hazel (Olive Egger), and Hyacinth (Lavender Orpington)

We are loving these little girls! I had been hoping for the Olive Egger to come from Meyer's Marans/Ameraucana line, but clearly this little lady is from the Welsummer/Legbar line. Hazel is a tentative name, subject to change if it doesn't seem to fit her looks quite right when she grows up. The main thing I didn't love about the Legbar crosses are the little mohawks, but I hear that those don't always get passed on to the babies, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. She doesn't seem to have any puff on top right now, but that might not mean anything. I like the colors on the Wellies and CCLs, so if she ends up like that with no mohawk and olive eggs (especially speckled ones), I will be very pleased. For now, she is a very striking chick.

A few more pics, for fun:

Sweet Nigella (named in honor of our beautiful Black Australorp we just lost to the raccoon--I've never recycled names, but somehow it feels right this time)

Pretty little Hyacinth...

Cheeky little Hazel. Does anyone here have insight on what she might grow up to look like? Did you get an OE from this Meyer's line? What did she grow up to look like? And how are her eggs?

And a couple more pictures of the 3 weekers:

You can see Magnolia (the Brahma) still looks like a giant fluffy baby instead of a young tweenage pullet. And the crests are really starting to come in on Snowdrop and Buttercup. :)

Last edited:
Ok, here are a few pics!

The gang of 5:

Left to right, that's:
Magnolia, the Light Brahma; Snowdrop, the Sultan; Iris, the Blue Copper Marans; Buttercup, the Buff Laced Polish, and; Juniper, the Silver Gray Dorking.

Iris and Magnolia:

Snowdrop and Buttercup:

Juniper and Iris:

And here they are more recently--not great pics, still have to get better birthday shots, but it's something:

I haven't had a crested breed before--they weren't really on my short list based on laying frequency and looks (I was going more for classic than cute), but I did always have a soft spot for the "Big Bird" looking buff Polish, and I found Meyer's picture of the Sultan hen really beautiful. And now I have so many chickens I'm not as focused on laying frequency, and I really wanted more than one white egg layer (the first one being my Dorking). So here we are, with Snowdrop and Buttercup. I have to say the Sultan seems to be the most calm, docile, and friendly of the bunch so far. She seems content to be picked up and held, where the others are more inclined to run from our hands and peep loudly or try to return to the other chicks at first when picked up. Plus, her massively feathery feet and hocks are just adorable. On the flip side, I'm worried she may be so passive that she'll be extra vulnerable to predation when she gets older--I'll have to keep an eye on her.

I haven't gotten any great group pics of the newest 3 girls yet--I have to work on that tomorrow before they stop looking like little fuzzballs.

The bottom two are just adorable!!

Back
Top Bottom