Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I want to add this photo as well because this girl cracks me up - she has the longest neck of any chick I have or have had! She is one of my Black Orpingtons, Riot. Her sister does not have a long neck like her.
IMG_9817 (3).jpg

Hi All! Love seeing all the photos of Meyer chickens! I placed my order for my first chicks a few weeks ago and I’m so excited! I’m going to pick them up in mid-February. Meyer is about a 3.5 hour drive from me, so I’d rather just make the drive than wait until April to have them shipped. I ordered: 2 each of: EE, Welsummer, Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. When I ordered, I was asked to check a box about whether or not I’d accept “similar breeds” if the ones I ordered aren’t available. I can of course wait until a later week when they have them all, but I don’t want to do that because I have this particular week off work. So I said yes. I do have my heart set on these particular breeds though after much research. So I’m curious: When you ordered through Meyer, did you have any issue with them not having your ordered breeds and having to accept a different replacement breed? I just want to know how common this is. Thanks!

Hi All! Love seeing all the photos of Meyer chickens! I placed my order for my first chicks a few weeks ago and I’m so excited! I’m going to pick them up in mid-February. Meyer is about a 3.5 hour drive from me, so I’d rather just make the drive than wait until April to have them shipped. I ordered: 2 each of: EE, Welsummer, Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. When I ordered, I was asked to check a box about whether or not I’d accept “similar breeds” if the ones I ordered aren’t available. I can of course wait until a later week when they have them all, but I don’t want to do that because I have this particular week off work. So I said yes. I do have my heart set on these particular breeds though after much research. So I’m curious: When you ordered through Meyer, did you have any issue with them not having your ordered breeds and having to accept a different replacement breed? I just want to know how common this is. Thanks!

I checked the "no" box, but they still sent on time and I got everything I ordered. Good luck with your February chicks!

No problem!

And sorry, didn't mean to say they weren't rare. They're not super uber common but likely not rare enough to be effected by shortages is what i meant since they dont hatch as many rare chickens as common ones

Thank you!

And, when you think about it, they have been doing this awhile so they probably have it figured out pretty well (barring any act of God). Obviously things can happen, but I'm sure they fill orders for those who specify their breeds first, knowing that they will have some to spare. Then whatever spares they have and end up in the "assorted" breed orders, or in the "assorted" bin in their store, to make up the difference.

Beware of chicken math when you go to pick up your new chicks in February though. With the bins of left over chicks they have in their store, it will be pretty tempting not to take a few extras home with you. What's a few more!
:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

And, when you think about it, they have been doing this awhile so they probably have it figured out pretty well (barring any act of God). Obviously things can happen, but I'm sure they fill orders for those who specify their breeds first, knowing that they will have some to spare. Then whatever spares they have and end up in the "assorted" breed orders, or in the "assorted" bin in their store, to make up the difference.

Beware of chicken math when you go to pick up your new chicks in February though. With the bins of left over chicks they have in their store, it will be pretty tempting not to take a few extras home with you. What's a few more!
:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy
Haha, so I’ve heard about chicks and their addicting qualities. :) Thanks. This makes me feel much better.

Back
Top Bottom