Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

NICE!!!!!!  Congrats. Very pretty color :)
BTW, I keep forgetting to ask, does the skelter hold med/large eggs? And if you have xlarge/jumbo do they still fit or do you just put them in the fridge?

I got 4 EE's from Meyer and only 1 lays green out of the 4. The others are shades of brown but one is a pretty creamy color.  I think they just started offering olive eggers so not sure of the color of those although I can't wait to see some pics. You're lucky you live so close you can go pick up pullets. Makes the wait for eggs so much shorter. Do you get to pick which EE pullets you want or do they already have them waiting for you when you arrive? 

I know, it's so hard to wait. Can't wait to see your Ameraucana!!  I would love a blue or splash one! 

I'm trying to decide whether or not to just get another olive egger instead of the EE.. I'd wanted 2 welsummer and 2 olive eggers but they didn't have enough welsummer available so I went for 1 welsummer and 1 EE plus the 2 olive eggers... so hard to decide!

I've never gotten chicks from Meyer, but I am guessing they will be all packaged and ready to go when I pick them up like they were at Mt Healthy last year :)

I have 5 EE from Meyer that are just about to start laying, so I'm anxious to see what I get.

3 years ago I got 7 EEs from Meyer and at least 5 layed colored. One layed blue and the others were green. I did have them with brown layers so I probably was getting a brown one too. I ended up selling the hens as my customers were biased against colored eggs and were throwing fits. My current customers are much more open minded :)

I do remember that one EE hen in particular consistently laid jumbo to super jumbo (can't fit into the carton) eggs that were a nice medium green color. The hen that laid the blue eggs never got past large size.

Last edited:
I just placed an order for a few new chicks I will be picking up Apr 28th from meyer! I ordered olive egger, welsummer and an EE, all pullets. Anyone have pics of eggs from any hens of those breeds they got from meyer? Also for those of you with meyer EE's how many actually ended up laying blue or green eggs?? I got 3 EE's from mt healthy last spring and although they are very healthy productive hens (so I can't really complain), all 3 lay skin color cream eggs and I'm wanting some color variety in my egg basket.... I'd order ameraucana but with the rest of my order not all breeds are available until summer
or not available at all... guess I waited too long to order, huh?
Nice. wish I lived close to a hatchery too. It does take a long time waiting for chicks to get old enough to lay eggs. Buying pullets is a great idea.
Both of my EE's from my order that hatched in February laid green eggs that were different shades of green. My other two 23 week olds EE's have not laid eggs yet, so we'll see. I hope they are blue or green
fl.gif

My order date is mid summer...I had to get an ameraucana! I'm so curious to see them. Hope I don't go too crazy waiting that long.
That's great, I'd love to get an Ameraucana too!

NICE!!!!!! Congrats. Very pretty color :)
BTW, I keep forgetting to ask, does the skelter hold med/large eggs? And if you have xlarge/jumbo do they still fit or do you just put them in the fridge?

I got 4 EE's from Meyer and only 1 lays green out of the 4. The others are shades of brown but one is a pretty creamy color. I think they just started offering olive eggers so not sure of the color of those although I can't wait to see some pics. You're lucky you live so close you can go pick up pullets. Makes the wait for eggs so much shorter. Do you get to pick which EE pullets you want or do they already have them waiting for you when you arrive?

I know, it's so hard to wait. Can't wait to see your Ameraucana!! I would love a blue or splash one!
The skelter is for med/large eggs and so far the biggest I've had on it is 2.4 ounces. I think it will handle a little bigger. Once these new layers give me some double yolkers, I'll test it out and let you know.

Oh, I was wondering too, I know that you have a camera in your coop. Can you post a link for it? I think you may have earlier, but I was curious about pricing.

We've been having fun here with the flu or some sort of cold virus. My husband is finally feeling better, but I guess I caught it from him and am a few days behind since I feel terrible today. Guess I should have gotten a flu shot.
sad.png

I'm trying to decide whether or not to just get another olive egger instead of the EE.. I'd wanted 2 welsummer and 2 olive eggers but they didn't have enough welsummer available so I went for 1 welsummer and 1 EE plus the 2 olive eggers... so hard to decide!

I've never gotten chicks from Meyer, but I am guessing they will be all packaged and ready to go when I pick them up like they were at Mt Healthy last year
smile.png
I didn't know this last year when I ordered... but just check Meyer website every week because something that is sold out now may be available later. Then just call and change the order. They are very accommodating at Meyer and will let you change your order. I'd go with olive eggers next time because I would thing that would be a better chance of colored eggs than the EE's.

I have 5 EE from Meyer that are just about to start laying, so I'm anxious to see what I get.

3 years ago I got 7 EEs from Meyer and at least 5 layed colored. One layed blue and the others were green. I did have them with brown layers so I probably was getting a brown one too. I ended up selling the hens as my customers were biased against colored eggs and were throwing fits. My current customers are much more open minded
smile.png

I do remember that one EE hen in particular consistently laid jumbo to super jumbo (can't fit into the carton) eggs that were a nice medium green color. The hen that laid the blue eggs never got past large size.
That's funny that customers shy away from the colored eggs. I'm trying to get a more colorful egg carton and people don't want the colored eggs! My green layer's egg is just barely a 'large' size. Most often a medium. But 2 other of my EE's lay large to jumbos!

Nice. wish I lived close to a hatchery too. It does take a long time waiting for chicks to get old enough to lay eggs. Buying pullets is a great idea.
Both of my EE's from my order that hatched in February laid green eggs that were different shades of green. My other two 23 week olds EE's have not laid eggs yet, so we'll see. I hope they are blue or green
fl.gif

That's great, I'd love to get an Ameraucana too!

The skelter is for med/large eggs and so far the biggest I've had on it is 2.4 ounces. I think it will handle a little bigger. Once these new layers give me some double yolkers, I'll test it out and let you know.

Oh, I was wondering too, I know that you have a camera in your coop. Can you post a link for it? I think you may have earlier, but I was curious about pricing.

We've been having fun here with the flu or some sort of cold virus. My husband is finally feeling better, but I guess I caught it from him and am a few days behind since I feel terrible today. Guess I should have gotten a flu shot.
sad.png
We have the dropcam (actually 2 of them. one for the inside of the coop and one for the run but they draw so much from the wireless we can only have one on at a time)

We got ours from Amazon Dropcam Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Camera. It was $149.00

Sometimes when it's really cold it doesn't work but it's been really nice to not have to go out there and make sure everyone is in the coop. Just turn it on and count heads on the roosts!
When Moe was broody I could check if she was on the roost and if not, just go out and move her onto it. It's fun to watch them hanging out during the day too.

These are our Doms from Meyer
They're so cute... people say they are really sweet and I just love the coloring of them. Just like my
BR Henrietta! I'll always have a BR or a Dom in my flock :)

Last edited:
These are our Doms from Meyer

They are beautiful. The Dominique that I had earlier in the year was one of my first layers and she was a sweet chicken. I miss her, her name was Dominique. Not very creative, I know. I love their rose combs and sweet personalities. I want another one or more in my flock again too.

I didn't know this last year when I ordered... but just check Meyer website every week because something that is sold out now may be available later. Then just call and change the order. They are very accommodating at Meyer and will let you change your order. I'd go with olive eggers next time because I would thing that would be a better chance of colored eggs than the EE's.

That's funny that customers shy away from the colored eggs. I'm trying to get a more colorful egg carton and people don't want the colored eggs! My green layer's egg is just barely a 'large' size. Most often a medium. But 2 other of my EE's lay large to jumbos!

We have the dropcam (actually 2 of them. one for the inside of the coop and one for the run but they draw so much from the wireless we can only have one on at a time)

We got ours from Amazon Dropcam Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Camera. It was $149.00

Sometimes when it's really cold it doesn't work but it's been really nice to not have to go out there and make sure everyone is in the coop. Just turn it on and count heads on the roosts!
When Moe was broody I could check if she was on the roost and if not, just go out and move her onto it. It's fun to watch them hanging out during the day too.

They're so cute... people say they are really sweet and I just love the coloring of them. Just like my
BR Henrietta! I'll always have a BR or a Dom in my flock :)
Dropcam, thanks! I'd really like to have something inside the coop to see who is laying, etc. I can monitor the whole coop and run area from our security cameras, but I hopefully can save up enough for one of those drop cams. It is so cold here and I had planned to not let the chickens free range, but they decided they were not too cold. I guess they can handle the weather much better then us.

It was 8 degrees with a wind shield of -7. brrrrrrrrrrrr, so cold! I'll have to go out and give them more water soon since it keeps freezing! By the weekend we'll be up to close to 60 again!

Speaking of cold, I get to stay home again, work is closed for the second day in a row. I hope I don't get frozen eggs again today.
We broke the record for coldest day since the 1940s, it never went above -14*f yesterday with a windchill of -40*f ... since when did I move to frickin' Alaska?! :/

Speaking of cold, I get to stay home again, work is closed for the second day in a row. I hope I don't get frozen eggs again today.
We broke the record for coldest day since the 1940s, it never went above -14*f yesterday with a windchill of -40*f ... since when did I move to frickin' Alaska?!
hmm.png
brrrrr,,,, that is crazy cold! We reached a record low for our area too, but 8 degrees with a -7 windchill is warm compared to you guys!

I actually ended up getting my 2 welsummers :) My friend whom I split the order with was fine taking the EE so I will get both of the welsummers that were available! And when I called to split our orders up so we didn't have to distinguish whose day old chicks were whose, I also added another Olive Egger to my order so now i am getting 3 because.... well... chicken math. haha

fl.gif
Oh, sorry if i typed that wrong or if it was confusing, I got female chicks not the started pullets... I've thought of going the older pullets before but I was too worried they would be really skittish :/ I liked my last batch I raised from chicks, I can catch most of them very easily and they come a running when I call (or sometimes just when they see me haha). Im glad I can drive there to pick up- its a 2 hr one way drive but I'd rather do that than have them floating around through the post office... Your lucky you got green eggs from your EE's! I cant wait to get my olive eggers :)

3 years ago I got 7 EEs from Meyer and at least 5 layed colored. One layed blue and the others were green. I did have them with brown layers so I probably was getting a brown one too. I ended up selling the hens as my customers were biased against colored eggs and were throwing fits. My current customers are much more open minded
smile.png

Thanks for the info! 5/7 is pretty good :) Thats weird some customers didnt like the colored eggs...I wonder why?

We broke the record for coldest day since the 1940s, it never went above -14*f yesterday with a windchill of -40*f ... since when did I move to frickin' Alaska?!
hmm.png
BRR! Our temps were around -10 all day and we got down to -17 last night but our windchill was like -37 the whole time despite the 7 degree difference. Oh spring, where are you?? Its my first winter with chickens so naturally I was worried... I had one Buff Orp that got a teensy bit of frostbite on the very tips of her floppy comb but other than that they took it very well :) Suprisingly my horse seemed more upset about the weather than they did haha

Back
Top Bottom