Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

These chickens were part of a Brown Egg Layer Assortment hatched around July 5th (6. months old now). I got 4 buff orpingtons, 1 buff rock (I think, she feathered in WAY faster than the orps and has yellow legs), 3 australorps, 1 jersey giant, and 6 white rocks. Most, if not all of them are laying.

If you bought them from Meyer, all your buffs are Orpingtons, they don't have buff Rocks. I love my buff Orps from them, they are such nice birds and so fluffy. I'm getting a few Australorps this spring, they lay so well and I love that shiny black color.

I was about to say the same thing. :) (Well, except I don't have any buff Orps or Australorps.)

Is it possible that she's a red sexlink / Golden Buff or possibly a New Hampshire? They both have yellow legs and I have seen some that are similar in coloration to Buff Orpingtons. One thing that can help determine if she's a sexlink or not is to look at her down by pushing her feathers up. Sexlinks have white down, while Buff Orps and New Hampshires will have down similar in coloration to the rest of the feather.

I definitely got them from Meyer, but since they were an assortment, the breeds were not specified, and I've been stumped about this yellow-legged buff girl since the beginning. I must have dreamed that Meyer announced they were carrying Buff Rocks, because I vividly remember thinking AH HA! I went out and caught the yellow legger and one of the Orps, and here are pics:
(the yellow legger one is closer to the camera in all pics with both birds)

Here's the down on the yellow legger:

and the down on the Orp (sorry it's out of focus but I didn't realize it until I had put them back outside and they were not particularly enjoying the inspection):

I definitely got them from Meyer, but since they were an assortment, the breeds were not specified, and I've been stumped about this yellow-legged buff girl since the beginning. I must have dreamed that Meyer announced they were carrying Buff Rocks, because I vividly remember thinking AH HA! I went out and caught the yellow legger and one of the Orps, and here are pics:
(the yellow legger one is closer to the camera in all pics with both birds)

I have no idea but they sure are pretty!!

I have a Rhode Island Red from Meyer that has some black lacing and over melanized wing feathers.

I definitely got them from Meyer, but since they were an assortment, the breeds were not specified, and I've been stumped about this yellow-legged buff girl since the beginning. I must have dreamed that Meyer announced they were carrying Buff Rocks, because I vividly remember thinking AH HA! I went out and caught the yellow legger and one of the Orps, and here are pics: (the yellow legger one is closer to the camera in all pics with both birds) Here's the down on the yellow legger: and the down on the Orp (sorry it's out of focus but I didn't realize it until I had put them back outside and they were not particularly enjoying the inspection):
I agree, she's an Orp. Probably a throwback to an outcross at some point. Either way, they are lovely. :D I haven't thought of getting buff Orpingtons, but I've heard they are some of the best personalities you can ask for.

Back
Top Bottom