Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I found a funny looking egg in the nest box. I'm guessing it's Kiwi since she laid that soft shelled egg yesterday. I hope she'll be back on track after this. I've read that pullets lay funny eggs until they "get used" to laying. Have any of you experienced this? My girls will be a year old in Sept.
sounds like a very light calcium deficiency but i have heard that about new pullets but never more then 6-10 eggs after ward you may want to add some crushed oyster shells to their feed or put some in a feeder to free feed if you haven't already
I do have oyster shell out. She laid a normal egg then the soft shell, then this funny one. I'm hoping it's just a glitch.

I found a funny looking egg in the nest box. I'm guessing it's Kiwi since she laid that soft shelled egg yesterday. I hope she'll be back on track after this. I've read that pullets lay funny eggs until they "get used" to laying. Have any of you experienced this? My girls will be a year old in Sept.
I got a few funny wrinkly looking eggs once in a while. And since the soft shelled one and then this her next may be back to normal hopefully.

if your bird is sick and getting attacked i would suggest separating her from the group for a time if you can
Thanks, she's not really sick, just missing feathers and the others were messing with her feathers since they had poo on them. I was just wondering if an all white chicken is sprayed with blu kote if it would bring even more attention and then they would go after her even more. Do you have one and have you ever used it?

Nope, not to late. All help is appreciated!!
I have wood ash in the run in 2 places mixed with sand and DE for dust bathing. I did take Mo and rub straight wood ash onto her yesterday before I added more into the run. I did that early in the day and then when I went out to look at her after dark, about 11 PM, I couldn't tell if it was wood ash I was seeing or the eggs from mites. I've seen pictures of feathers with mite dust or mite eggs I guess it is, and it was just gray feathers near the base. This is what it looked like but it could have been the ash. Arghhhh
barnie.gif
It's making me nuts.
I'm ordering the sulfur dip from Amazon and gonna dip poor ole Mo as soon as I get it. She'll have a nice spa day. Hopefully that's what it is and at least I know what I'm dealing with.

It doesn't seem to be spreading to any other birds. Mo is the worst. But my BR and one BA have bare bellies/chest but still looks the same as a week ago. No better no worse. Some look absolutely perfect. Then to top it off, Mo must have been under one of the roosts a bit last night and another bird pooped right onto her back where the broken feathers are and the other girls have been pecking at it all day. I tried to get it out but it's kinda messy.

Has anyone used Blu Kote on a white chicken... I was going to spray her but I was afraid the blue would actually attract more attention and they would pick her more!!
Maybe since the BR and BA have stayed the same they just need time to grow their feathers back. My one Oreo, a BR needed a couple months. I used Blue Kote on her and this was last year and I still can see a little one her. I thought that I read that they need to go through a molt before the feathers grow back in? Maybe up their protein if your not already.

Poor little Mo, you would think the blue spray would bring more attention. Maybe if she smells like sulfur from the dip they won't bother her? That bird poop is hard to get off when it's in the feathers. I had to cut a lot of feathers around Oreo's vent after she recovered since she had a ton of dried poop weighing her down.
sickbyc.gif
She walked much better after I cleaned her up, so nasty!

I do have oyster shell out. She laid a normal egg then the soft shell, then this funny one. I'm hoping it's just a glitch.
I agree, just a glitch, I wouldn't worry at all, especially if the others are laying good eggs. I get a few weird ones now and then, even from the older girls, they're not that old though, a year and a couple months.
Just got a notice that my second box of chicks for the year have been sent!
wee.gif
Yay!!! Can't wait to see them!!!

So my Partridge Rock was in the broody cage for 3 nights and it didn't work!!! Ahhh, she is going to drive me crazy!! Anyway I took the broody cage out of the coop and set it up in the run, where it is very bright and breezy, I am hoping that cools her down. We've had warm days the past few days, so I guess having the broody cage in the coop was just too warm and cozy. She was on a wired bottom and everything, but it was darker and warmer and I guess cozy for her. I guess I will give her 3 or 4 nights in this new setup and we'll see?
We should be getting are fence this week or next!!! It is nice and quiet around the house now, no more big machines!

Dang it. 2 eggs have been broken under our broody. I don't think it's her though. The other girls are laying their eggs in there somehow. I saw our BR in there this morning after the broody came out to eat. I had to kick her our. I think she broke one and then just now our BA egg was in there and I think she broke the second one. How do you keep them from laying eggs in that nest box? I moved the BA egg to another box hoping the other girls will lay there. Maybe I just need to keep some eggs in a box all the time so they'll add to that?

Dang it. 2 eggs have been broken under our broody. I don't think it's her though. The other girls are laying their eggs in there somehow. I saw our BR in there this morning after the broody came out to eat. I had to kick her our. I think she broke one and then just now our BA egg was in there and I think she broke the second one. How do you keep them from laying eggs in that nest box? I moved the BA egg to another box hoping the other girls will lay there. Maybe I just need to keep some eggs in a box all the time so they'll add to that?
Can you separate her to her own little nest and area with food and water, but where she can still be seen by the others but where the others can't get in? That's my plan once we decide to hatch under a broody.

I got a few funny wrinkly looking eggs once in a while. And since the soft shelled one and then this her next may be back to normal hopefully.

Thanks, she's not really sick, just missing feathers and the others were messing with her feathers since they had poo on them. I was just wondering if an all white chicken is sprayed with blu kote if it would bring even more attention and then they would go after her even more. Do you have one and have you ever used it?
it depends with the birds we raised most chickens only start pecking for real is when they see red (blood) but i don't know your chickens so it's best to keep a close eye on them for a few days after the treatment to be safe and break up fights at soon as possible

Can you separate her to her own little nest and area with food and water, but where she can still be seen by the others but where the others can't get in? That's my plan once we decide to hatch under a broody.
Our coop doesn't really allow for that. If I get another broken one I'll see if I can figure something out.

Back
Top Bottom