This stinker:

Became this big ham:

Speckled Sussex:

This cutie:

Became this big girl:

And finally, this little one:

Became this character:

And, because it's cute:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but was wondering what the temperament was like with their Splash Marans.

Beautiful birds btw!
smile.png

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but was wondering what the temperament was like with their Splash Marans. Beautiful birds btw!
smile.png
I have only had experience with this one hen so I don't know if this goes for the roos (or other hens) as well, but she is an absolute delight! She knows her name and if I call her, she honks back to me (yes, she honks; I don't know if it's because she's got big nostrils or if she doesn't have her big-girl voice just yet). She comes running if she sees me and must have her nightly visit into the house. She'll follow me around, so I don't have to worry about catching her if she slips past me out the gate (usually if she does this, she's just wanting me to pick her up and will stand at my feet until I do). This bird LOVES to be held. It isn't like the other hens, where they just kind of tolerate it. This hen begs to be picked up, and once she's in my arms, she'll just stretch out her neck onto my shoulder and doze. She's very calm when being held, even if the dogs or cats are around (though she does keep an eye on them). She has been very good with my 3-year-old niece, too, even when my niece has been a little rough about petting her. She's kind of touchy about how she's picked up and I don't think she cares for my niece's technique, but I have never had her get upset when I pick her up. She's a bit of a wuss when it comes to a lot of things. If a hen pecks her, she'll come running over to me to protect her. She doesn't like mud in her feet feathers. She can barely make it the half foot onto the lowest perch (she flaps and kicks and carries on until she makes it). Sometimes, if I'm outside for a while and I get out of her line of sight, she gets fussy until she spots me again, at which point she runs over like she thought she'd never see me again. Essentially, she's a big baby. :lol: As a pet, she was totally worth the $9.66 we spent on her. However, she has been pretty slow growing and, at almost 8 months old, has not yet laid an egg. Not sure if that makes any difference to you. I hope this answers your question. :)

I have only had experience with this one hen so I don't know if this goes for the roos (or other hens) as well, but she is an absolute delight! She knows her name and if I call her, she honks back to me (yes, she honks; I don't know if it's because she's got big nostrils or if she doesn't have her big-girl voice just yet). She comes running if she sees me and must have her nightly visit into the house. She'll follow me around, so I don't have to worry about catching her if she slips past me out the gate (usually if she does this, she's just wanting me to pick her up and will stand at my feet until I do).

This bird LOVES to be held. It isn't like the other hens, where they just kind of tolerate it. This hen begs to be picked up, and once she's in my arms, she'll just stretch out her neck onto my shoulder and doze. She's very calm when being held, even if the dogs or cats are around (though she does keep an eye on them). She has been very good with my 3-year-old niece, too, even when my niece has been a little rough about petting her. She's kind of touchy about how she's picked up and I don't think she cares for my niece's technique, but I have never had her get upset when I pick her up.

She's a bit of a wuss when it comes to a lot of things. If a hen pecks her, she'll come running over to me to protect her. She doesn't like mud in her feet feathers. She can barely make it the half foot onto the lowest perch (she flaps and kicks and carries on until she makes it). Sometimes, if I'm outside for a while and I get out of her line of sight, she gets fussy until she spots me again, at which point she runs over like she thought she'd never see me again. Essentially, she's a big baby.
lol.png

As a pet, she was totally worth the $9.66 we spent on her. However, she has been pretty slow growing and, at almost 8 months old, has not yet laid an egg. Not sure if that makes any difference to you.

I hope this answers your question.
smile.png

Aww, she sounds like a total sweetheart. That's so cute that she honks! I really like the splash coloring and will be putting in an order this week, so I need to make up my mind on what breeds to order soon (there's so many pretty, nice sounding chickens, but I'm only allowed 5 at the most, lol!). Hopefully she'll start laying soon. Thank you for your answer...it helped a lot!
smile.png

I just ordered from the Feb 11 2013 hatch date yesterday. :) Ordered the all pullet rainbow pack (25 chicks), 3 blue silkies, 1 silver laced wyandotte, and 1 easter egger. Not only am I wayyy too anxious for them to arrive, I'm very anxious to find out what my mystery chicks will grow to be! :)

Thought I'd follow up on the subject of my blue splash Marans from Meyer. She laid her first egg on Tuesday!!

It's not nearly as dark as I would have expected, but I don't mind, myself. :) But if anyone is ordering Meyer's Marans for dark eggs, I would think twice about getting the blue splash if I were you!

Give her time.. she is new at the whole egg laying thing... It wouldnt suprise me at all if they started to darken up a bit... As i understand it all eggs reguardless of the chicken start out as white and get color added just before being laid... Dont forget some layer feed

Give her time.. she is new at the whole egg laying thing... It wouldnt suprise me at all if they started to darken up a bit... As i understand it all eggs reguardless of the chicken start out as white and get color added just before being laid... Dont forget some layer feed

Yes, brown eggs are white with the brown added to the outside, as evidenced by looking at the inside of the shell. I had always read, though, that the eggs were darkest at the beginning of a hen's laying cycle, and get paler toward the end of her laying cycle. :idunno (She's in with the big-girl flock, so she's on Flock Raiser with oyster shell available free-choice. :) )

thats probably true as far as the eggs getting pale as they get older... ya never know with the first bunch of eggs tho, thats when most of the soft shells and other wonky eggs come out... reguardless, congrats on her first egg :)

I have some black copper marans and cuckoo marans from Meyer Hatchery. I've seen some pretty dark eggs online, but i'm happy with the shade my girls lay. The two dark eggs are marans eggs.
390263_10150511461638221_1959557073_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom