This stinker:

Became this big ham:

Speckled Sussex:

This cutie:

Became this big girl:

And finally, this little one:

Became this character:

And, because it's cute:

After changing my order about 52 times I settled on 4 EE, 2 Buff Brahma, 2 Black Australorp, 2 RIR, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Columbian Wyandotte, 1 BR, 1 Cuckoo Marans,
and 1 White Cochin. I was going for an interesting egg basket and friendly/pretty hens. I realized later I don't have any white egg layers. That means I have to order more later
wink.png

I'm reading all I can on BYC and keeping a notebook for treating diseases/problems and keeping predators out (we have fox, hawks and raccoons) but I think I need to stop. I'm scaring myself silly when I read about mites, lice, sour crop, diseases etc. I raised 2 kids, dogs, guinea pigs and fish but caring for chickens is starting to sound difficult. And it shouldn't; it's not rocket science. I just want them to be healthy and happy. We are doing all we can to keep them safe by building a completely enclosed run, half with a solid roof, so we can't do much more. I am in the process of looking up 'first aid kit' so I have everything I need, within reason, on hand. And I'm deciding between going with a Brinsea ecoglow or red heat lamp. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an ecoglow since I've read so many great things about them and I won't have to worry about fire. I'm sure you can already tell I'm a worrier :) If my husband doesn't have time to build quick brooder I'm going to get a huge box or 2 from Costco/BJ's.

What are you doing for a brooder/light and where are you keeping them? I'm thinking 2 weeks in the house and then into the garage for 4 weeks until they can go into the coop.
Well you just want to be prepared nothing wrong with that!! Im 7weeks 4days away from delievery and I already built the brooder out of scrap 2x4"s plywood and spare fencing for a removable top i will see if i can get my fiance to help me upload pics of it!! Was very happy with the outcome of it considering i didnt have to buy any of the materials for it..I have to still figure out how i will do the lighting but i will more than likely jus hang it securely above the brooder..As far as placement i will be watching the weather if its too cold then they will spend a week or so inside our spare bedroom in there brooder..I also changed my order before finally settling on 3 barred rocks,3 golden buff,3 EE,2 BA,4 Silkies (2blk,2blu) and of course the "meal maker" I prolly called them 3x's before i settled on them all...Just have to be perfect...lol like your chicken list thgh NotableNancy!!! Wish the best for you and your gals!!

So whats the deal with the "meal maker" ... Im thinking about throwing one in with my spring order... So basically ya just get an extra chicken and give the eggs away??? Thats what we do anyway is give eggs away... We just enjoy chickens and our dozen cost hardly anything to feed especially free ranging all summer... We get way more than we can eat and just give them away...

So this works on the honor system or what??? If i dont have to do any extra effort other than feed an extra chicken then im in... If i have to keep track or info of some kind id rather just pay $3 and get another chicken

So whats the deal with the "meal maker" ... Im thinking about throwing one in with my spring order... So basically ya just get an extra chicken and give the eggs away??? Thats what we do anyway is give eggs away... We just enjoy chickens and our dozen cost hardly anything to feed especially free ranging all summer... We get way more than we can eat and just give them away...

So this works on the honor system or what??? If i dont have to do any extra effort other than feed an extra chicken then im in... If i have to keep track or info of some kind id rather just pay $3 and get another chicken
i added one to my order this time around. i didn't see anything about tracking or writing anything down. we give away eggs too. besides, it is not like they are going to come and get the chicken back if you didn't "track the info" on it. i think they just mean to provide us with a way to help others.

Very well spoken The Howards....They are just encouraging that you take the free bird and give away some or all of her eggs or meat(in the case that you recieve a meatie).,.they are giving you the bird for free

I'm happy to oblige.
big_smile.png

Partridge Rocks:

This little lady:

Became this pretty girl:

This little girly:

Became this beauty:

Blue Splash Marans:

This stinker:

Became this big ham:

Speckled Sussex:

This cutie:

Became this big girl:

And finally, this little one:

Became this character:

And, because it's cute:

They are so beautiful! I'm so glad I made my first chicken order with Meyers!!!

pipdzipdnreadytogo - beautiful chicks and hens! It was great to see them as babies and then adults! Thank you for sharing!

We're working this weekend on the coop again. I read that the ladder type of roosts is not as good as putting the roosts up at the same height, so I took down our ladder roost and we are in the process of putting up roosts close to the same height. (Apparently they fight and bully each other more, when there is less high roost space.) We do not have any chickens yet, so modifications are easier to make now.

I am going to brood our very first chicks on the floor of the coop and just block off an area for them with a brooder light and everything. We're in NC and it has been cold lately, but I will fix it up so they'll stay warm in their little area. We'll have to rethink the next batch of chicks since we'll have grown chickens by then.

We'll be giving away a lot of eggs once these start laying, so I am sure the Myer Meal Maker will come in handy. I have poor college aged children to share with, some still at home and some always coming by for free food.

We have a ladder roost... There isnt much fighting for the top... They all understand which high ranking chickens get the top rung... All they care is they like to roost higher up than they nest... In my experience anyway

Those are 2 of our meyer birds eating out of the feeder i made

Your birds are pretty. The ladder roost probably would have worked fine, I'm just impatient waiting on my chicks, so I keep reading and getting new ideas then changing things around.

Back
Top Bottom