Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

th.gif
I just did it...I gave my son the option of the Buff orp or the Black Austerlorp & he went with the Buff Orp.

One day I will end up with a lavender - NEXT YEAR!!

For some reason I can't shake the feeling that both my silkies might end up being boys...so I might end up back at a breeders looking for an older female or maybe wait until next year and try again!
Good choice, love the Buff Orp, such a distinct color and shape, when I look at our flock from a distance Baby Buff is instantly recognizable as her breed even though she's not full grown yet. Our Black not so Copper Marans has a beautiful green sheen so I don't feel like I'm missing out, hopefully yours will too. Plus you may end up with a Black Orp with your Blue, I hope you get Blue though :)

So looks like you will have two each of the Legbars, Polish, Wyandottes and Orpingtons albeit in different colors. Just the Marans and probably a Silkie will be singletons. Our Marans is the only French girl and she's the boss, the two English girls hang out and the American mutt and hybrid stick together as well even though they are all different breeds. Will be interesting to see your flock dynamics.

Patty, one of my Golden Buffs, laid her first egg at 16 1/2 weeks!! Nice dark color. So, I now have 2 out of 24 laying.
Congrats! Love the little speckles! Oh gosh 16 and a half weeks, that means my GB could be laying in 3 weeks! We better add the next boxes sooner than later. Do you have a recent pic of her?
This is a horrible picture of Patty from today. She has been squatting without me reaching out to touch her and has been trying out nesting boxes a lot in the last few days.
Her comb and wattles are not as red or as big as Jed's (I thought she was a roo for awhile and got attached to that name).
I have another RIR Big Red who is almost as advanced as Jed, so I did not expect Patty to be the first of my younger chicks to lay. Patty laid before my white EE, Boo! I am still waiting on her even though she is at least 4 weeks older. I guess you can't always tell! :confused:

Good choice, love the Buff Orp, such a distinct color and shape, when I look at our flock from a distance Baby Buff is instantly recognizable as her breed even though she's not full grown yet. Our Black not so Copper Marans has a beautiful green sheen so I don't feel like I'm missing out, hopefully yours will too. Plus you may end up with a Black Orp with your Blue, I hope you get Blue though :)

So looks like you will have two each of the Legbars, Polish, Wyandottes and Orpingtons albeit in different colors. Just the Marans and probably a Silkie will be singletons. Our Marans is the only French girl and she's the boss, the two English girls hang out and the American mutt and hybrid stick together as well even though they are all different breeds. Will be interesting to see your flock dynamics.

Yeah, 2 Wyandottes, 2 Orps, 2 CCL, 2 Polish, and 1 Maran, and possibly 1 silkie staying... the status of the silkies depend on what gender they end up settling on.

I can already tell that out of the CCL, Gidget is the vocal one - she will "sing the song of my people" morning & night to greet the sun & moon. But only for 15 minutes. Then she's done. Gizmo is the curious one, while Gidget is brave (but not always so smart ;)

I'm going to take more pics of the CCL tomorrow for their 2 week birthday. Their tail feathers are coming in & they have such beautiful markings!

Coco(a) is quite submissive if he really is a he - that might change as he matures. Brownie is quite assertive, brave, & a bossy little snit - I can see her (if a her) as being the big mama despite her size.

It is going to be a lot of fun learning about the new chicks & seeing the dynamics develop as they grow! I also can't wait to get the coop next weekend & start getting it set up. Brownie & Coco are going to move out there as soon as I get the floor protected, inside painted, poop board installed, making sure the window is predator proof; and roost & ladders set up. Hopefully that won't take too long because I'm going to need brooder space ASAP!

Then I can work on getting the run ready & finishing up the additional changes to the coop I want to make as well: cutting another window in the door, etc. By the end of Labor Day weekend, I want everyone out in the big coop!!!! I also want to have the coop painted on the outside by then too! Lots to do!

ok, I finally was able to get some pics of Brownie & Coco - my (non-Meyer's) silkies. They are approx 6.5 - 7 weeks, though Coco may be 1 week behind Brownie.

Brownie - note the small comb but crazy crest but TOTALLY acts like a roo in personality

Here's Coco - higher ridged comb, the start of wattles, but is submissive in personality.

Not sure about Brownie but Coco sure seems like a cockerel. Is your son sad?

Is it horrible that I just logged on the Meyers and looked to see what was still available for Monday's hatch and had to talk myself out of getting a buff orp!!???

Seriously! I need a reality check! (but it would make it an even 10 in my coop instead of 9, presuming one of my silkies is a boy...which is becoming more and more obvious)
LOL... glad you got the buff orp! It's going to be really hard to resist one on my next order. That's high on my want list.

Why not?? I love my sweet buffs...
wink.png

But I know the struggle...just last night I had to reason myself out of getting one of the Black Orps they had available..and a few australorps...and a partridge cochin..
Have you seen those silver laced cochins??? they are beauties!!

This is a horrible picture of Patty from today. She has been squatting without me reaching out to touch her and has been trying out nesting boxes a lot in the last few days.

Her comb and wattles are not as red or as big as Jed's (I thought she was a roo for awhile and got attached to that name).

I have another RIR Big Red who is almost as advanced as Jed, so I did not expect Patty to be the first of my younger chicks to lay.
Patty laid before my white EE, Boo! I am still waiting on her even though she is at least 4 weeks older. I guess you can't always tell!
hu.gif
LOL... can never tell with EE's. 3 of my 4 laid under 20 weeks old and the other was a full 10 months old!! I had a Big Red RIR too... had to rehome her. She was crazy in the head!!

LOL... can never tell with EE's. 3 of my 4 laid under 20 weeks old and the other was a full 10 months old!!  I had a Big Red RIR too... had to rehome her. She was crazy in the head!!

Yikes! I don't think I could wait until she is 10 months for another green or blue egg!

I hope Big Red's craziness had nothing to do with her name! So far, my Big Red is pretty mellow. I went to pet her and she squatted for me, today. So, she is getting close to laying. When I go to pet Jed, she just runs away.

I REALLY want a lavender orp...but there aren't any available listed.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a small Brisnea incubator next year and hatch a few select eggs for myself and friends
Got my first Meyer flock 2 years ago.... there is now a Brinsea Mini Advance sitting on my dining room table with my fourth hatch going.....I keep eyeing the RCOM 20 Pro....

I am officially addicted.

MB

Not sure about Brownie but Coco sure seems like a cockerel. Is your son sad?

LOL... glad you got the buff orp! It's going to be really hard to resist one on my next order. That's high on my want list.
I don't think he's sad...our friend that will take any boys is someone we see on a weekly basis. We do playdates with her daughter, so it's not like we won't see Coco on a regular basis! I also think that the excitement of all the other chickens will offset any dissappointment in 1 (or 2) being boys.

I'm quite giddy that I'm going ahead and getting the BO and the BLRW that I wanted...now the "must have" list is expanding ;)

I'm SO over my allowed amount! I will need to move to a bigger backyard to have more chickens!!!!

Got my first Meyer flock 2 years ago.... there is now a Brinsea Mini Advance sitting on my dining room table with my fourth hatch going.....I keep eyeing the RCOM 20 Pro....

I am officially addicted.

MB
Well, if you upgrade your incubator...I will be happy to buy your mini advance
big_smile.png

I think that will be the next step - I have too many friends who have chickens & if I could hatch, then we could get fertile eggs and hatch out what we wanted each year.

Back
Top Bottom