Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

And, of course, the babies today:

Rangi the troublemaking Ancona!!

Easter-egger bantam--I can't decide if this one's a boy or a girl:

Frizzle Cochin bantam butt and Easter-egger bantam butt. :love

Po! :love Frizzle Cochin bantam. He's such a cutie!

Silver Lakenvelder and Exchequer Leghorn:

Golden Campine:

Egyptian Fayoumi--such a little spazz!

Light brown Leghorn:

How old are your chicks now? I hope you'll post some more pics soon. My new chicks seem really tough and boy they can fly. Right now I move them each morning and late afternoon from their brooder in the coop to their fenced in area in the run. The problem is they are not that easy to catch. I am glad there are only 6. The fastest and hardest to catch is the light brown leghorn, I hope she is a she, I am concerned. The comb is bigger then the rest already, but not by much, but leghorns get bigger combs anyway, we'll see. I wish they were a little bigger, I am still to scared to mix them with the others who look like giants now compared to them.

I work from home too, if I had less chickens and a smaller coop, I'd stick with the sand too. The chicken coop and run is attached to the garden and I have a large garden so that's our quality time when I work each day in the garden, plus my husband and I will just sit and watch them a lot. They are so much fun to watch and I am glad I got so many varieties and colors.

I plan on taking some more pics this weekend. I bought oyster shell a few days ago and I plan on giving it to them at the 16 week mark which is 2 weeks from Monday. I marked it on the calendar, "open up nest boxes and give oyster shell." So hopefully I may see an egg or two in a few weeks!!! I will for sure post a pic of it when I do!!!
They're 10 weeks old today!! I'll post some new pics soon. It's been so rainy and dreary the last few days and this coming week is supposed to be as well.
I will take a close up pic of my BB roo too; his 'underbite' seems to be getting worse and I feel bad for him. When he eats grass or weeds he has a hard time swallowing them and one of the girls will pick the piece right out of the side of his mouth and eat it! But he seems to be eating his feed out of the feeders just fine and he is growing so I'm sure he's fine. I just don't know who will want him. I don't think my neighbors will appreciate a 4:30 wake up call so he will probably have to go.
I'd love to see new pics of your girls. Who do you think will lay first? The RIR's? Leghorn? Do any have their big girl red combs yet?

those are some very good looking birds![COLOR=B42000]pipdzipdnr [/COLOR][C Check Meyers website, as I am pretty sure I saw speck Sussex available the next two weeks, pls another week after that.OLOR=B42000]eadytogo [/COLOR]
droolin.gif
I was hoping to get the speckled sussex but they said they wouldn't have anymore this year.
hit.gif
So we went with are third choice as they won't have the golden laced wyandottes until August, And we wanted the babies older before winter. But I am sooooooooo excited and I can't wait! hehehe 17 days til hatch date
Check Meyers website, as I think I saw speck Sussex available the next two weeks. At least last night I did.

Well, you guys did me in. I just called Meyer and changed my order. I went back and forth about adding a Campine, and in the end I figured if I canceled one of the existing birds in the order I could add a campine in and DH wouldn't be able to be upset that I'd added an extra bird. Then the tough part - which bird do I take out???! I thought decided that since I had a couple selections with two birds in the order I could remove one of those and then I'd still be getting all the breeds I want and adding in the campine. It came down to taking out one of the golden cuckoo marans and one of the white leghorns. I decided that since campines and leghorns both lay white eggs I'd take out the leghorn to add in the campine, so now my order looks like this:

Meyer Meal Maker
Golden Laced Wyandotte Female
Silver Laced Wyandotte Female
Partridge Rock Female
Rhode Island Red Female
Welsummer Female
White Leghorn Female
Exchequer Leghorn Females
Golden Campine Female
Easter Egger Female
Golden Cuckoo Marans Female

Only problem is I'm already starting to regret not getting both white leghorns (I already had names picked out!) so I may end up calling back and changing it so I get two leghorns and only one marans. Extra bonus that would actually make my order less expensive by 5 bucks (not that it really maters at all). Oh my oh my oh my chicken math is turning out to be harder than algebra!

Man this is stressful!! All I can think about is these chicks shipping! Everyone here at work keeps laughing at me because I've checked my email a thousand times.

I have a question... I have a very large rubber tote to use as their first brooder. TSC was alkaline out of heat lamp bulbs, but I found some at a feed store. They are 250 watts. Now I've read that that may be too hot for the tote?! Anyone have experience? I'm planning on doing a little test drive this evening... My boss is going to allow me to bring my chicks into work with me this week so I need something easily portable to carry in and out.

Back
Top Bottom