Partridge Cochin
Light Brahma
Golden Lakenvelder
Deleward
Columbian
Buff Chantecler
Black Australorp
Silver Laced Polish

PLUS Our Silkie is sitting on a few eggs right now. She isn't a Meyer girl but I am still super excited. She is on 4 of hers and 1 of the Meyer Golden girls.

I've heard good things about Meyer's and the quality they have. I like that they can vaccinate before shipping. Wow, the color of those eggs is spectacular! I love the blue and coco browns. Are those Amercauna and Marans? I may have to get some chicks myself! Susie Q
yippiechickie.gif

Does anyone know if the combs are getting slightly white tips is that the start of frostbite? Should I cover them with vaseline?
We are having a nice warm up right now but I'm sure that's not the end of winter!

I was wondering the same thing but haven't had a chance to look it up. Sky (BA) has a few white tips on her comb. Speaking of combs I noticed Marble (BR) had a bloody tip on her comb yesterday. When my daughter went to them to bed last night there were blood spatters all over a corner of the coop. I don't know if there was a fight or she hit it on something and then shook her head and splashed blood all over or what. I don't think it was a fight since the girls all get along well and we haven't introduced anyone new. I'll have to keep an eye on things.
There's always something ins't there!?

My girls at 14 weeks. Enjoying a small break from the cold wet weather of the pacific north west.

I have an Easter Egger, Buff Orphington, Welsummer , and a Meal Maker that I think is a Rhode Island Red. I would love opinions if you think she is not a RIR.

The girl that is front and center standing is the one we think is RIR.

Morning, all. I got pictures of my 2013 Meyer babies because they are 8 months old today! :) Roha the Exchequer Leghorn: Mr. Po the Black Cochin bantam (from Meyer's Black Frizzle Cochin bantams) : Huka is the only one not to have reached POL yet (well, other than the obvious, Po). I think Ihi's the only one laying at the moment, though, with the weather as it has been.
I'd love to get an Exchequer Leghorn because Roha is so pretty; do they lay as well as white Leghorns? I think you have a Speckled Sussex too right? Any current pics? I remember she was really pretty!! Also, weird question... do bantam roosters mate with LF chickens? My friend rescued 2 roosters, one bantam one LF, and she's getting about 8 hens and I was just curious what would happen. Right now they get along so well but there's no girls to fight over right now.
I don't think so, but I've never owned a white Leghorn. Roha lays probably 3-4 eggs a week, but she went on strike when the arctic weather came through here last week and hasn't laid since as far as I know. :rolleyes: She is such a sweetheart, though, so if that counts for anything to you, you should look into getting one for yourself. :) I do have two Meyer speckled Sussex, but I don't think I have any good recent pictures except this one of Poggy's face:
I also have Partridge Plymouth Rocks and my beloved Blue Splash Marans from them. :D
(Frou-Frou blends in with the snow. :lol: )
I really should get out there and get some nice pictures of them. And yes, any rooster will mate (or try to mate) with any hen, which is why you have to be careful with bantam hens and LF roosters. Mr. Po hasn't had a lot of success, but I have seen him have his way with Marama once. He's so small, though, that even when the girls squat for him, he usually can't get up onto them to do his thing. :lol:
In March--ducklings Blue Runner Cayuga Jumbo Pekin In June--chicks Partridge Cochin Light Brahma Golden Lakenvelder Deleward Columbian Buff Chantecler Black Australorp Silver Laced Polish PLUS Our Silkie is sitting on a few eggs right now. She isn't a Meyer girl but I am still super excited. She is on 4 of hers and 1 of the Meyer Golden girls.
:thumbsup What kind of rooster do you have? My little Silkie's been brooding on and off since she was 7 months old--she's 9 months old now. They really are the broodiest little things, aren't they? My list is still 2 Black Copper Marans pullets, a Welsummer pullet, and a Silver Gray Dorking pullet for May 19 pickup. :D
My girls at 14 weeks. Enjoying a small break from the cold wet weather of the pacific north west. I have an Easter Egger, Buff Orphington, Welsummer , and a Meal Maker that I think is a Rhode Island Red. I would love opinions if you think she is not a RIR. The girl that is front and center standing is the one we think is RIR.
Yup, she looks like a Rhodie to me. :) Pretty girls!

thumbsup.gif
What kind of rooster do you have? My little Silkie's been brooding on and off since she was 7 months old--she's 9 months old now. They really are the broodiest little things, aren't they?
Yes they are. We have managed to break her every time before but this time DH said if she wants to sit let her. So we moved her in when it got so cold. So now she is comfy in a crate in the house and I am impatiently waiting on some chicks.
We have a silkie roo we got about 3-4 months ago from a local lady. He was super excited to see Sonnie (the little silkie broodie). Every time he would see her while in quarantine he would growl, fluff up and shiver in anticipation. We also have a Silver laced Cochin. He was from our last order from Meyer, last April. He was a sexed wrong but we decided to keep him. He's a bit heavy handed with the ladies so he is in a pen with 4 of the golden buffs he was shipped with. They absolutely adore him and he is so protective of them. He is a big ma-ma-jama.
Sir Scuttlebutt Jazz (Jezebel when we thought she was a girl)

Sonnie sitting on her eggs, brooding cutely.

Last edited:
My
I was wondering the same thing but haven't had a chance to look it up. Sky (BA) has a few white tips on her comb. Speaking of combs I noticed Marble (BR) had a bloody tip on her comb yesterday. When my daughter went to them to bed last night there were blood spatters all over a corner of the coop. I don't know if there was a fight or she hit it on something and then shook her head and splashed blood all over or what. I don't think it was a fight since the girls all get along well and we haven't introduced anyone new. I'll have to keep an eye on things.
There's always something ins't there!?
my roosters comb gets picked at often. Like they are picking off little scabs, then he rubs it on the walls and it looks like a slaughter house!! Lol

My girls are 17 weeks old. Some days they are real red in the comb and waddles, but some days they are pale. Is this a normal observation at this age? I think my Delaware will be the first egg layer because she has been the most red the most often.

Back
Top Bottom