Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

They are all doing great!!!!
2 rare marans (looks like both are blue splash), 1 golden campine, 1 barred rock, 1 buff orp, 1 Delaware, 1 cuckoo maran, 1 dom, 4EE, 1 gold and 1 silver lace Wyandotte, 1 NH red, 1 salmon favorelle, 1 speckled Sussex, and a meal maker (golden comet)

So adorable! What a great selection!! I thought I was getting a lot of variety with 7 different breeds. I hope they all get along well! Can't wait to see group photos as they age.

That is crazy!! To get all those extra chicks and not be prepared for them! It sounds like she has it under control. Better her than me. I wouldn't want to give them up but I have only just enough room for the 23 that I am getting. It sounds like her husband will help her let go of them though. I'm sure she will be able to rehome them to BYC members.

I would love that if it happened to me! Quite the shock though. I didn't read past the point she opened the box. I hope she sold them. She said she felt guilty about that, but that plywood for the brooder and the food isn't free.

I would love that if it happened to me! Quite the shock though. I didn't read past the point she opened the box. I hope she sold them. She said she felt guilty about that, but that plywood for the brooder and the food isn't free.
That would be a very interesting thing to happen. My husband would go crazy! I think I would too! That's a lot of chicks. It is funny when it happens to someone else. Poor girl!

Here's my broody Partridge Rock, Rocky. I want to move her to a small wire crate I have but it is just so cold still and I don't want her to get sick. I keep taking her out still and there is one advantage to having only 4 nest boxes, by the time she gets back someone else has filled up the nest box so she has to wait her turn. Once she gets in though she stays until I chase her out again.

When I move her she shakes too, so I know the cold is getting to her. We may be moving all of them soon if we can get the new coop ready and I am hoping she is broken of her broodiness by then, if not maybe the move will break her of it. Unless she is just staying in the nest since it is cold outside? She does do the broody sounds and wing flap though and her chest is always real hot when I move her. So guess it is just the broodiness. I hope she doesn't encourage any of the others.
roll.png

So adorable! What a great selection!! I thought I was getting a lot of variety with 7 different breeds. I hope they all get along well! Can't wait to see group photos as they age.

I'll brood them for a few months to see who is the most friendly. Any misbehavior and swap meet they will go. I have a few now that are very friendly and love my 3yo son so I'm hand raising these with that goal in mind. I only plan to keep about 3/4 of them. I just couldn't decide so I got a few extra. Who knows maybe they will all be friendly and we will just build another coop.
1f600.png
chicken math
1f609.png

I'll brood them for a few months to see who is the most friendly. Any misbehavior and swap meet they will go. I have a few now that are very friendly and love my 3yo son so I'm hand raising these with that goal in mind. I only plan to keep about 3/4 of them. I just couldn't decide so I got a few extra. Who knows maybe they will all be friendly and we will just build another coop.
1f600.png
chicken math
1f609.png

Sounds like you have a great plan! That chicken math can be a dangerous thing. I haven't even gotten my first chicks yet and I already wish I could get more! Good luck!

An update on my chicks, I have had them for a week now. I ordered from the brown, white, and rare assorted packs and then ended up adding a couple of males to the bunch (blue splash maran, black copper maran, and blue ameraucana) for a total of 18 chicks. I had 1 doa, one die within the first 48hr, and then one more the next day. So this is what I have with 15 birds total. I am bad with breeds so maybe someone can help me figure out what is what?

Back
Top Bottom