Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

You're really coming along! Our run is on a slope but not a steep one so there was no need to really do anything about it. Can't wait to see pics. Hows the broody? Hopefully the change in accommodations will knock her out of it
hu.gif

Could it be a brown leghorn? Of course I always say EE but with yellow legs and will change to green in a week or 2
pop.gif

That's great!!! Keep us posted
I had brown leghorn on the list but took it off for some reason. I don't remember what I found to make me think not but I must've run across something.

Oh my gosh Lynn. Next time I need a coop built, I'm hiring you! You guys are really moving!! It took us a few months to build our coop...on a level surface at that.
Well it does help that the shed is already here and we're just re-purposing it. Helps a whole lot! Plus, we're being rushed to be able to take advantage of the city doing creek construction right near the coop.

I still haven't been able to decide on the breed of this chick. I was thinking EE since she didn't look too much like the other chipmunk breeds I could find but as she gets older I'm not so sure. She doesn't have a beard, has bright orange legs (brighter than the pic shows), and a single comb peaking through.

Here she is at a day old

Here she is now at 1 1/2 weeks

The maybe breeds are Cream Legbar, Barnevelder, Welsummer, Partridge Penedesenca, or EE.
I have found an example of each of these breeds that looks like this chick!
She is adorable whatever she is, but I was thinking leghorn too.

Oh, I can't believe it! My Meyers eggs should actually make it here Monday. That means they will only be behind by two days. I think this might actually work.
AM eggs are set and looking good. Temp is steady. So far so good
Great!!! Hope it all works out!!
fl.gif

You're really coming along! Our run is on a slope but not a steep one so there was no need to really do anything about it. Can't wait to see pics. Hows the broody? Hopefully the change in accommodations will knock her out of it
hu.gif
We're so tired from working so hard the last few days. We've kind of put a rush on the coop this weekend since the construction on the creek is so close. Rocky is a super broody 100%. She has even pulled out her chest feathers and is bare there. I have a cage for her set up in the coop and had her in it for a little while today. She kept trying to climb out through the wires, she's crazy. I so wanted to grab some bantam chicks that we saw today at TSC and give them too her, but we just have way to many chickens right now.

Day Four of Coop Construction

So the paint I decided on was lavender. Here's the 3 roosts all painted with support beams since I have some heavy breeds.

The window is complete with hardware cloth and a hinged door, I still need to add a clasp to the top. I only painted the very bottom floor boards and the nests and roost. The rest will stay as is.

Here is the beginning of the foundation for the run. My smart husband figured out a good way to level it. You can see the new window too. The window will be above the run. The run should sit below it. The shed is 9 feet high and the run is 6 feet high.

Here is the back view a little closer. We're going to block off most of the under part of the shed but still give them a couple of feet under for shade. I may have to put their food and water inside the coop for now until I figure out how to keep it dry. I was planning on putting it under the coop, but then they would have to go outside with no cover to get to it. So I am still not sure how I will do this. If you look close we have mostly sawed out the pop door for them near the center of the bottom of the coop. Just thought of something, I wonder if I can convince my husband to saw through the floor of the shed so they'd have immediate access to under the coop, then they'd stay dry, plus their food and water could be under the coop. Hmmmmm
hmm.png
He may kill me for asking, after all our work today.

We have to dismantle my garden too, so the chickens made fast work of my kale, carrots and spinach. Made me sad to see all my hard work gone so fast. Guess I will have some really tasty eggs in the next day or two though.

Here are the nest boxes all prettied up for the ladies. They look so much better all in one color.

Just to show you what the city has been up to and how close, The pile in the far back is huge rocks. Those are our bedroom windows on the top floor. I thought there was an earthquake when they dumped those rocks. That's all their dirt gravel and soil under the white tarps.

This is our front yard and they are already dumping soil in order to build it up. All that red castle wall block has to be moved too, by us, those things are heavy. My husband and I put those walls up and I guess we'll be taking them all back down, block by block. The wall won't be needed since the ground will be level. It does not look like many but it wraps around from one to another, a lot more is out of the picture. I'm glad the city is going to build up our land but it would have been nice if they gave us that option before we built the wall.

One more creek construction pic

Here's Miss Super Broody, Rocky- Just a tad upset with me

Every time we do a fire in our fire pit we give them the ashes. They've never really cared for them but I know it's good for them so I put it in there anyway. I haven't added sand. Maybe I'll pick up a bag of it at the hardware store next time I go.
Those of you using wood ash, do you have bathing boxes in the coop or outside? If so, does it create a very dusty atmosphere in there?

All these pics of chicks is making me want to bump up my order to come sooner, which is probably not wise. I have a very busy March, and won't be able to start building my coop until April anyway. I just turned in my application to the city planning commission and I actually have to show up at the meeting on April 9th to present my plan. Then I'll pick up my four chicks on the 16th! 1 GLW, 1SS, 1BR, 1golden buff. I'd love to get more, but I'm only allowed the four.

My first real chicken drama:
Ok so I worked a late shift today. Got home after 11. Went out to the coop and realized one was missing from the roost. I found her huddled in corner of the run. She looks like she's falling asleep but wasn't interested in what was going on. I noticed her backside looked dirty but then saw blood on another's head. She was really matted with blood. I bathed her and separated her. I cannot find an injury, but she's so fluffy that I can't see anything. Should I be worried about injury or disease or is this just a chicken pecking gone extreme?

On the positive side, my bator is still holding steady.

Update on Olive:

In the recovery ward of the garage, next to the power washer lol. She seems much more lively today. Someone suggested this is just a pecking order thing. Anyway, she's drinking a good amount of water today, so I feel better about that, but she wasn't really interested in food. Not even the scrambled eggs. So glad I'm off from work today so I can keep an eye on her.
I hope the reintroduction to the flock goes smoothly. She was number two in the pecking order, so I hope she can regain a place quickly. I definitely cannot have a house chicken. I haven't even to my MIL about the incubator yet cause I just know she thinks I'm nuts!!!

Well, I am really upset with out city council right now. One of the board members emailed us and said that they are having a meeting one Wednesday to discuss allowing chickens in this area. The man who emailed us said that from what it seems, they are going to allow chickens.

Here's the part that upsets me. They originally told us that because of the size of our property, we would be allowed to have 8 hens. Now he is saying that we can only have at most 5 hens. Which means I am looking at the possibility of re-homing more hens. :mad:

I spent 15 minutes watching my girls this morning and I can't even decide who I would keep and who I wouldn't.

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what they decide on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom