Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Ok so studying my chicken health book some more to add to the first aid list and came across this:

Use plain, water-based personal lubricant to gently push prolapse back in. More often than not, it will pop back out. After that, leave it alone. More handling with various ointments will cause the area to become more swollen.

According to this, you should see improvement within the first day or so.

What is the title of your chicken health book?

This isn't a health book, but I have Harvey Ussery's "The Small Scale Poultry Flock". It does have some health suggestions too, but it's more about raising your own back yard chickens and even a little for egg sellers, or meat sellers.

Chicken health for dummies. Lol.
I bought raising chickens for dummies before getting chicks. It has some tips. After Olive getting sick, I knew I needed more and I really like the other book too. Both written in part by owner of BYC. although many people here are trying to be helpful, I could have used more definitive answers and quickly. I spent too much time guessing what was wrong with people who were really trying to help. Anyway, I will probably get another book on chicken health just for my own confirmation and peace of mind when facing issues. Just cause I'm crazy like that!

I got my chicken health book yesterday. I read through it and it pretty much says the most common causes are molting, lice/mites, and feather picking. It also says if you are feeding a major brand of feed, it is probably not your feed. I think you did the right thing treating for bugs. It also says you may not see them until they are really out of control. I would watch for a feather picker too, just to cover your bases. It will probably take a few days to notice a difference. Don't let it stress you out more.
I'm thinking they are picking their own feathers out for some odd reason. Since it's on their underside it wouldn't be another chicken picking their feathers... they would be kinda hard to reach.
I am so all over the place because I just don't want to lose them all. And then with the prolapse on top of this it's freakin me out. But I think I have to just sit back and see what happens. I treated for lice/mites the best I could, they are eating a major brand feed, Agway, so I guess it's not that. So I will take a wait and see approach for now. I'll have to get that book. Thanks for the help.

Ok so studying my chicken health book some more to add to the first aid list and came across this:
Use plain, water-based personal lubricant to gently push prolapse back in. More often than not, it will pop back out. After that, leave it alone. More handling with various ointments will cause the area to become more swollen.
According to this, you should see improvement within the first day or so.
It stayed in for a bit and then came out but since I didn't know this I tried 2 more times to put it in but nope. So I left it alone. Her back end just looks nasty. She didn't eat the egg I gave her and haven't seen her drink. Arrghhhh. I'll wait and see. :(

@NotableNancy
I hope everything will be ok. As far as I've read, you're doing everything right. Waiting is definitely the hardest part. I'll keep reading and see if I can find anything. Did you try a warm bath for the prolapse?

@NotableNancy
I hope everything will be ok. As far as I've read, you're doing everything right. Waiting is definitely the hardest part. I'll keep reading and see if I can find anything. Did you try a warm bath for the prolapse?
I soaked her rear in warm water for a little while. I read to put a towel over their head to calm them and it really did. Didn't hear a peep. It was so sad to hear her making her little calls to her flock when she was in the crate. Thanks again :)

Nancy, have you tried sugar water? I had a RIR hen with a prolapse a few years back. I soaked her n sugar water, and it retracted back in without me pushing it in at all. The other thing you need to do is keep her in total darkness. I can remember the amount of sugar to water, but it worked!!

Tracked my order and found it was at the post office about an hour away so I decided to make the trip during rush hour traffic and pick em up....welcome home girls!! Hatched on 4/9 arrived home 4/10 all arrived alert and hungry!!
jumpy.gif

1 Buff Orp
1 White Rock
1 Easter Egger
1 Dominiuqe
1 Meal Maker ( one of the golden ones... maybe another buff o??)

Tracked my order and found it was at the post office about an hour away so I decided to make the trip during rush hour traffic and pick em up....welcome home girls!! Hatched on 4/9 arrived home 4/10 all arrived alert and hungry!!
jumpy.gif

1 Buff Orp
1 White Rock
1 Easter Egger
1 Dominiuqe
1 Meal Maker ( one of the golden ones... maybe another buff o??)
Great! Adorable!!

Back
Top Bottom