Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I do hear them peeping!! I really want a leghorn too. The place I'm getting my chicks have them almost every week except next week. If they have any left from this week when I go to pick mine up one might just find its way into my box
big_smile.png
I hope that you can get one. We've decided (my better conscience has) that we'll wait until the city is completely done with the yard before we attempt more new chicks.
hmm.png
Sometimes that voice of reason inside my head messes up my voice of fun and craziness.

So my plan was to try to give chicks or eggs to a broody. I think the chickens read my mind and one of the Cuckoo Marans went broody yesterday. A little too soon...maybe a few weeks down the road...but not now. Anyway, she is in the broody cage and I caught it early so I hope she snaps out of it soon. Think I will try the full 3 days since that seems to work the best.

So once the city is done, the fence guy comes and fences in the whole backyard, so they'll be able to free range a lot of area. I'll still have to put up removable fencing inside the area too since Maxie, our dog, we'll probably try to chase them and probably would kill them if she caught them. She's great at keeping unwanted strangers and predators away, but she also has killed a lot possums and racoons and if she caught a squirrel it would be toast too.

Once all that work is done which should be in a matter of weeks, then I will get hatching eggs or chicks. Right now they are just confined too much and I'd be afraid the others would attack the babies.

I'll live through you guys and all your cute fluffy chick pics for now!
wink.png

Ok folks, here are the first few pictures of my new chicks, picked up today! Clockwise from yellow: Golden Buff, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Barred Rock.

They seem to be doing ok so far, although the barred rock hasn't shown much interest in eating or drinking. The others have all started pecking at the crumbles and the Grogel.
Adorable baby chickens!! Cute baby human in the back too!

sooo cute
love.gif
i hope mine hatch
fl.gif

Thanks, yes the baby human is very interested in the baby chickens! He begged and pleaded the whole way home from Meyer to let him hold the chicks. They're all doing very well now, even the Barred Rock, eating and drinking and pooping.

On Meyers website they do not have female ameraconas availible and have not for a long time. But they have males availible? Does anyone know if they are keeping all the females or is there a possibility that I could grab some over hatch females on the hatch date of next order?

On Meyers website they do not have female ameraconas availible and have not for a long time. But they have males availible? Does anyone know if they are keeping all the females or is there a possibility that I could grab some over hatch females on the hatch date of next order?

I don't think they're keeping the females. If you really watch the website every week, you might be able to catch them.

My first tiny egg from one of my 16 week old pullets I got from Meyers hatchery. It was so exciting. I didn't think it would be this early. Not sure which one of my hen's produced the egg, though.

Last edited:
Ok folks, here are the first few pictures of my new chicks, picked up today! Clockwise from yellow: Golden Buff, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Barred Rock.

They seem to be doing ok so far, although the barred rock hasn't shown much interest in eating or drinking. The others have all started pecking at the crumbles and the Grogel.
So cute and glad they are doing well!!

I hope that you can get one. We've decided (my better conscience has) that we'll wait until the city is completely done with the yard before we attempt more new chicks.
hmm.png
Sometimes that voice of reason inside my head messes up my voice of fun and craziness.

So my plan was to try to give chicks or eggs to a broody. I think the chickens read my mind and one of the Cuckoo Marans went broody yesterday. A little too soon...maybe a few weeks down the road...but not now. Anyway, she is in the broody cage and I caught it early so I hope she snaps out of it soon. Think I will try the full 3 days since that seems to work the best.

So once the city is done, the fence guy comes and fences in the whole backyard, so they'll be able to free range a lot of area. I'll still have to put up removable fencing inside the area too since Maxie, our dog, we'll probably try to chase them and probably would kill them if she caught them. She's great at keeping unwanted strangers and predators away, but she also has killed a lot possums and racoons and if she caught a squirrel it would be toast too.

Once all that work is done which should be in a matter of weeks, then I will get hatching eggs or chicks. Right now they are just confined too much and I'd be afraid the others would attack the babies.

I'll live through you guys and all your cute fluffy chick pics for now!
wink.png
That sounds like a good plan. You should have good luck with a broody once all the commotion is done and they are back to free ranging.

Congrats on the first egg!! It's always so exciting!!

My first tiny egg from one of my 16 week old pullets I got from Meyers hatchery.  It was so exciting.  I didn't think it would be this early.  Not sure which one of my hen's produced the egg, though.

16 weeks is awesome. I hope I'm that lucky! Any suspects for the layer?? What breeds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom