Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I need help! I have a broody buff! She has been noticeably absent a lot lately well I went to shut their pop door tonight and couldn't find her anywhere. Went in search of her and nothing. Thought I better check the coop one more time........needless to say she was snug as a bug in a rug underneath the nesting boxes behind a bag of wood chips. She has a bunch of eggs under her now. Should I move her off the eggs tomorrow and get rid of all the eggs? Will she go back to it or find another spot? I don't want her to try and build a nest outside somewhere that she could get hurt! What should I do!?

I need help! I have a broody buff! She has been noticeably absent a lot lately well I went to shut their pop door tonight and couldn't find her anywhere. Went in search of her and nothing. Thought I better check the coop one more time........needless to say she was snug as a bug in a rug underneath the nesting boxes behind a bag of wood chips. She has a bunch of eggs under her now. Should I move her off the eggs tomorrow and get rid of all the eggs? Will she go back to it or find another spot? I don't want her to try and build a nest outside somewhere that she could get hurt! What should I do!?

She will just find another place to nest. If you dont want to get chicks for her, your best option is to put her in a wire cage to break her broodyness.

Today Kiwi laid a regular egg. Just a glitch. Phew! Haven't had a broody yet, but seems like everyone else is dealing with that. I'm not sure I have enough cages to deal with juveniles, broodies, injuried and/or sick chickens. Gotta hit the thrift store...

I do not have experience with bantams do they mature faster I have 2 mottled cotchin bantams at 12 weeks. I'm thinking 2 roosters any one want to make me wrong? I'd love it if you do!

I am new to the board and chickens and awaiting my 6 Meyer Hatchery chicks this week. Can't wait, this has been on my bucket list for a long time. Everything is ready and waiting. I am getting an Ameracanus, Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Barred Rock, Silver and Gold Laced Wyandottes and a Buff Orpington. Finishing up the coop enclosure, but weather is not agreeable with rain forecast all week. Not really worried as will have 4 or 5 weeks before they are ready to go out in it. Will try and post pics every once in a while.

I am new to the board and chickens and awaiting my 6 Meyer Hatchery chicks this week. Can't wait, this has been on my bucket list for a long time. Everything is ready and waiting. I am getting an Ameracanus, Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Barred Rock, Silver and Gold Laced Wyandottes and a Buff Orpington. Finishing up the coop enclosure, but weather is not agreeable with rain forecast all week. Not really worried as will have 4 or 5 weeks before they are ready to go out in it. Will try and post pics every once in a while.

Welcome! How exciting! I'd love to see pics of your babies once they arrive.

Our coop doesn't really allow for that. If I get another broken one I'll see if I can figure something out.
I hope that you have no more egg breaks. The problem with leaving mine in the coop is that the nest box is off the ground, the coop is too so they'd have a couple foot fall if they (the new chicks) fell from the nest box and also another couple feet when they went into the run since the coop is higher off the ground. Our plan is to build a mini coop in the run for a broody and babies. I'm just too worried about them falling.

Yup, I agree a wired bottom cage works the best. I have been having a broody in a cage non stop for the past month. As soon as one stops, another starts up. I have 2 more cages ready to use, so far they've been good and have only gone broody one at a time.

Today Kiwi laid a regular egg. Just a glitch. Phew! Haven't had a broody yet, but seems like everyone else is dealing with that. I'm not sure I have enough cages to deal with juveniles, broodies, injuried and/or sick chickens. Gotta hit the thrift store...
Glad all is well with Kiwi, love that name too!

I put her on the roost with the others. She had 17 eggs under there!
th.gif
I couldn't believe it! I took them away hoping that she maybe won't go back
fl.gif
How is she today? That's a lot of eggs, sounds like she is determined!

I do not have experience with bantams do they mature faster I have 2 mottled cotchin bantams at 12 weeks. I'm thinking 2 roosters any one want to make me wrong? I'd love it if you do!
The top picture look more rooish to me, think I see pointed saddle feathers and more red in the comb. I hope that the lower picture is a girl, but not sure about bantams if they grow faster since that is a pretty red comb for 12 weeks.

welcome-byc.gif
Great and welcome! It's always exciting getting new chicks!! I've had mine since Feb 2012 and am really enjoying it!! Can't wait to see your pics!

I am starting to think I hatched three boys :(

See how the comb is turning pinkish? All three are like that! (At four and a half weeks) I'm so bummed. This might keep me from hatching again. It's almost worth the shipping costs just to be sure you get a girl. Is there any hope that one may still be a girl? Or am I going to have to stalk the Meyer site for a blue ameraucana?

Back
Top Bottom