Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Just got home with my babies
yesss.gif
All 25 are alive and drinking & eating. Now comes the fun part of trying to figure out " who is who "

Our chicks died from cocci. We had a cold snap and I think they spent too much energy trying to keep themselves warm and it made them susceptible.

The house only needs minor work - floors refinished downstairs and paint everywhere. Outside needs some siding replaced, some landscaping, and the loafing shed needs a few minor repairs. I'd like to change parts of the coop too but overall it's a good start. I haven't had a chance to fully inspect it yet but I'll do a complete check before I leave the girls unattended in there. They'll probably be taken over in the first load so we can get their current coop out of this yard if the new owners don't want it.

Here's some pics of the new coop. It's on the side of the loafing shed. The whole top is covered in bird netting and it's welded wire around the bottom.

The coop part is on the right and on the left is another enclosed area that can be used in bad weather, or to separate sick/breeding/broody/etc.
I haven't decided yet about a pop door. Right now it looks like they just left the large door open for them. There's 2 windows that I can open or shut for ventilation. I think I'll cut a pop door in the main door and add my automatic chicken door. Even though the whole thing is enclosed I feel safer if they are locked up at night.

Here's inside the coop. I don't like the netting and poop trays under the roosts. And I'll need more than 2 nesting boxes. So I think we'll reconfigure this. I also don't like the idea of having to walk all the way in to see if there are eggs and stooping so low to collect. Not sure where I'll move it to yet though.

I'd love to hear everyone's ideas of what they would do with this space!

Last edited:
Our chicks died from cocci. We had a cold snap and I think they spent too much energy trying to keep themselves warm and it made them susceptible. The house only needs minor work - floors refinished downstairs and paint everywhere. Outside needs some siding replaced, some landscaping, and the loafing shed needs a few minor repairs. I'd like to change parts of the coop too but overall it's a good start. I haven't had a chance to fully inspect it yet but I'll do a complete check before I leave the girls unattended in there. They'll probably be taken over in the first load so we can get their current coop out of this yard if the new owners don't want it. Here's some pics of the new coop. It's on the side of the loafing shed. The whole top is covered in bird netting and it's welded wire around the bottom. The coop part is on the right and on the left is another enclosed area that can be used in bad weather, or to separate sick/breeding/broody/etc. I haven't decided yet about a pop door. Right now it looks like they just left the large door open for them. There's 2 windows that I can open or shut for ventilation. I think I'll cut a pop door in the main door and add my automatic chicken door. Even though the whole thing is enclosed I feel safer if they are locked up at night. Here's inside the coop. I don't like the netting and poop trays under the roosts. And I'll need more than 2 nesting boxes. So I think we'll reconfigure this. I also don't like the idea of having to walk all the way in to see if there are eggs and stooping so low to collect. Not sure where I'll move it to yet though. I'd love to hear everyone's ideas of what they would do with this space!
Where are the nest boxes? It seems like a weird setup.

The nest boxes is that green thing in the main coop.
It is strange! That's why I need ideas. Right above the nest boxes is another window.
I'm a newbie, so take my "advice" for what it's worth...but the netting under the roosts seems pointless. I'd rather have poop boards myself that could easily be scraped. You will never get the netting clean. And the nest boxes under a window do not seem very useful. What is on the other side of the plywood shown next to the roosts? It would be great if you could put your nest boxes there, with a cut out through that plywood for outside collecting of eggs. Just an idea!

The nest boxes is that green thing in the main coop.
It is strange! That's why I need ideas. Right above the nest boxes is another window. 

I think I would put the nest boxes in a place that is convenient to collect eggs. Maybe the wall that is straight on in the photo? But I think that's the most important thing. You can reconfigure the rest around the nest boxes. Definitely use boxes that attach from the outside so you don't loose square footage and for easy collection. It has great access and I love that it has an attached run. I'm working on a plan for a run myself.

I just had a heart to heart with a very rude person from Meyers. And i found out the hard way that they discriminate ageist new hatchers. True i had never hatched out anything before in an incubator but i have several times under hens through the hens did most of the work. So they are firm on not giving me a refund of any kind because i am new to incubator hatching. How did they even know this to begin with you ask? They used this site to spy on me yes they used backyard chickens and the HAL thread as an excuse not to give me a refund.

But you know what that's OK because not only am i never going to order anything from them ever again. But I'm going to tell every one that doesn't turn a deaf ear to me not to order from them either because if that's how they treat paying customers i don't want anyone Else to have to go thought this shear amount of BS they have finished putting me through.

And for the record to the people from Meyers that thing it's OK to use my confidence in more experienced hatchers ageist me. I have read EVERY hatching thread, post and book i could get my hands on and i went through the hatching process just like i was suppose to. So if my hatching process was wrong you need to take it up with sally sunshine because i followed her instruction's to the letter and YOUR eggs didn't hatch.

And further more i hope you Meyer people are paying attention I'm about to spend over $100 in birds from people who sell and have nothing to do with your site i was going to order from you but i see you all are full of it i can and will get my birds Else where.

And to other people reading this sorry for wasting thread space but that whole argument that i had with one of their supervisor's really rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm a newbie, so take my "advice" for what it's worth...but the netting under the roosts seems pointless. I'd rather have poop boards myself that could easily be scraped. You will never get the netting clean. And the nest boxes under a window do not seem very useful. What is on the other side of the plywood shown next to the roosts? It would be great if you could put your nest boxes there, with a cut out through that plywood for outside collecting of eggs. Just an idea!
I agree. I already plan to remove all the netting. I don't see the point of it. Next to the roosts is empty but that wall has the window on it.

Back
Top Bottom