Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

@LynnEBC she is aggressive to the other birds. She chases them and keeps them away from food. Is this normal chicken social structure?

Here is Olive. I couldn't get a picture of my other OE they only difference is she doesn't have a beard. I just love the beards! They have a gorgeous blue/grey color the other one I showed before is all black. I have a total of 3 OE's

I am happy with Ginger our Golden Buff and she does lay every day, so she probably will burn out in just a couple years or so. I am prepared to handle her when that happens, but I do not look forward to it. I know she'll have a great life here until that day comes and she really seems to be one of my happiest chickens, she does not waste a moment even when free ranging, she is the last one in the coop at night. Sometimes I have to pick her up and put her to bed.

@NotableNancy
I know you are ordering a few with your next order. Not to put your on the spot but I guess you know this already about the Golden Buffs? I plan on ordering more in the future too, Ginger has changed my mind about them.
Yes, I think that's why I got the 2 RIR with my first order rather than 1 RIR and 1 GB but I regret it because I do hear the GB are sweet! And quiet
wink.png

@LynnEBC she is aggressive to the other birds. She chases them and keeps them away from food. Is this normal chicken social structure?
To some degree, if the others never get a chance to eat that's a big problem, but if the others do end up sneaking in to eat then it is probably normal. If she is jumping on them and pulling out feathers, drawing blood, that is not normal.

I had a white rock that was sweet to us but aggressive to the other chickens. She would hop on the other chickens and tear out feathers and she eventually started drawing blood, so she had to go. We did not re-home her since I felt that it'd be wrong to give a mean chicken to someone else.

I have an EE, Olivia who chases the others around and will peck here and there, but she seems to be doing it to keep pecking order established. She also breaks up fights that the others have with each other. So she stays. Chicken social structure seems really harsh at times, but they have to maintain it, that's just what they do.

It sounds like normal pecking order stuff if no one is getting hurt. If your EE is really hurting the others( besides the normal peck on the head), or not allowing them to eat ever, I'd get rid of her.

Just my opinion, others might be able to help more.
wink.png

Here is Olive. I couldn't get a picture of my other OE they only difference is she doesn't have a beard. I just love the beards! They have a gorgeous blue/grey color the other one I showed before is all black. I have a total of 3 OE's
She is so pretty. Have you gotten any eggs yet from your OE's? I am so curious about the egg colors.

Holy cow! That's a lot of chickens!! Obviously, you are a little more than a backyard chicken keeper! How and when did you get started??
This is our first year we had raised chickens before but that was seven or eight years ago.

Ok, I'm still new to chickens, I'll keep her around then. Thank you for your her help I feel way better about the situation now. I worry to much about them I guess.

To some degree, if the others never get a chance to eat that's a big problem, but if the others do end up sneaking in to eat then it is probably normal. If she is jumping on them and pulling out feathers, drawing blood, that is not normal.

I had a white rock that was sweet to us but aggressive to the other chickens. She would hop on the other chickens and tear out feathers and she eventually started drawing blood, so she had to go. We did not re-home her since I felt that it'd be wrong to give a mean chicken to someone else.

I have an EE, Olivia who chases the others around and will peck here and there, but she seems to be doing it to keep pecking order established. She also breaks up fights that the others have with each other. So she stays. Chicken social structure seems really harsh at times, but they have to maintain it, that's just what they do.

It sounds like normal pecking order stuff if no one is getting hurt. If your EE is really hurting the others( besides the normal peck on the head), or not allowing them to eat ever, I'd get rid of her.

Just my opinion, others might be able to help more.
wink.png

She is so pretty. Have you gotten any eggs yet from your OE's? I am so curious about the egg colors.

Nope no eggs yet. they are only 14 weeks old so we will definitely see how early they start. Since not to many people have gotten the OE's from Meyer we can give a good voice on egg colors and laying times. Lets hope early lay and VERY olive colored eggs! lol

I ordered from the brown assorted that Meyer had a special on w/free shipping on Wednesday. Here are my 16 new fluffy friends. :)

Ok, I'm still new to chickens, I'll keep her around then. Thank you for your her help I feel way better about the situation now. I worry to much about them I guess.
I was new to chickens too a little over a year ago and one of the best lessons I learned was not to worry too much. I still remind myself of that a lot!
wink.png

I ordered from the brown assorted that Meyer had a special on w/free shipping on Wednesday. Here are my 16 new fluffy friends. :)

Adorable! Have you figured out any of the breeds yet? Looks like you have a lot of breeds.

I was new to chickens too a little over a year ago and one of the best lessons I learned was not to worry too much. I still remind myself of that a lot!
wink.png

Adorable! Have you figured out any of the breeds yet? Looks like you have a lot of breeds.

My guess for the lighter ones is Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, and maybe Delaware or White Rock. I'm basing this on what they had listed under their available to ship section.

The darker ones I am not sure, this is only the second time we have had chicks. Here is a picture of each one if anyone wants to make some guesses.

Back
Top Bottom