Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I have 3 olive eggers 2 have feathered legs and 1 does not. Actually one of them started to lay which was a disappointment b/c it was a regular brown egg
sad.png
She has a straight comb beard and muffs and is all black and non feathered feet.

This is one of the blue/greys also an older pic (about 17 weeks)
I'd be a little ticked about laying a brown egg. No where does it state that it's a possibility and if they are crossing a true blue egg layer like CL or Amer with Marans doesn't it have to be green??
they are pretty though...
wink.png
and at $10/chick thats kinda pricey for a brown egg layer. Just ranting because i KNOW that's what will happen with me. LOL

I'd be a little ticked about laying a brown egg. No where does it state that it's a possibility and if they are crossing a true blue egg layer like CL or Amer with Marans doesn't it have to be green??
they are pretty though...
wink.png
and at $10/chick thats kinda pricey for a brown egg layer. Just ranting because i KNOW that's what will happen with me. LOL

lol I was definitely disappointed! After all the wait and its a brown egg layer well I already have 19 other brown egg layers!
barnie.gif
Oh well I love Meyers but I think maybe I should have waited until everyone else got oe's to see what they would lay! At least I can be the example lol

lol I was definitely disappointed! After all the wait and its a brown egg layer well I already have 19 other brown egg layers!
barnie.gif
Oh well I love Meyers but I think maybe I should have waited until everyone else got oe's to see what they would lay! At least I can be the example lol
Well I have my fingers crossed your other 2 lay olive!!!

The marans legs don't really have enough feathers for that to be a big problem. It's not like a cochin or D'Uccle that have lots of feathers. I have all of these breeds plus silkies and don't find a major problem with them, especially the marans. I barely notice they have feathered legs!

They made it!

love.gif
I am so excited for my peeps now!! Because yours are reminding me how adorable they are when they're little!

I have 3 olive eggers 2 have feathered legs and 1 does not. Actually one of them started to lay which was a disappointment b/c it was a regular brown egg
sad.png
She has a straight comb beard and muffs and is all black and non feathered feet. The other 2 are all blue/grey 1 has a beard and muffs but the other 1 does not both with a pea comb. They have not started laying yet. I do love them though they are very sweet except the black one likes to tell you about everything!
wink.png
lol

Here is an older pic of her. (about 15 weeks)

This is one of the blue/greys also an older pic (about 17 weeks)
I may be wrong but I think it's the pea comb factor...if it has the pea comb it lays the olive and strait comb lays the brown?
Still disappointing! I wish you could get a refund or something..at the very least, it should have lad a dark brown egg, like the Maran.. :/
What a bummer

love.gif
I am so excited for my peeps now!! Because yours are reminding me how adorable they are when they're little!

I may be wrong but I think it's the pea comb factor...if it has the pea comb it lays the olive and strait comb lays the brown?
Still disappointing! I wish you could get a refund or something..at the very least, it should have lad a dark brown egg, like the Maran.. :/
What a bummer

I know I was so excited I seen her in the nesting box and waited till she laid an egg. I was just so excited to see that dark olive green color. I picked it up and it was almost a purplish color until you wash it then the bloom comes off and its plain old brown
sad.png
I agree on the pea comb factor hopefully the other 2 won't disappoint!

Barnvelder

Dazookeyper, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY!!!:D Love the shots and it is really nice to see another Barnvelder from Myers. You have two total? Sorry, forgot how old yours are? They are beautiful! I am in love with their feathering patterns and coloring. I took a few updated shots of ours yesterday. They are 18 weeks as of yesterday, ours have not started laying yet,

I will post pictures later, having issue with IPad ATM!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the info on molting. Of my three girls, only my Dellie is laying regularly. I see a few of her feathers around. My RIR is still angrily guarding her nest, so not laying. Her feathers are everywhere! My BB doesn't seem to be laying or molting :idunno

:love I am so excited for my peeps now!! Because yours are reminding me how adorable they are when they're little!

What a bummer

One of my EEs had a perfect pea comb, green legs and beard and she laid a light brown egg. So I think it can be an indicator but not the deciding factor.

I know I was so excited I seen her in the nesting box and waited till she laid an egg. I was just so excited to see that dark olive green color. I picked it up and it was almost a purplish color until you wash it then the bloom comes off and its plain old brown :(   I agree on the pea comb factor hopefully the other 2 won't disappoint!

LOL... I wouldn't wash it and call it purple!

Thanks all for the info on molting. Of my three girls, only my Dellie is laying regularly. I see a few of her feathers around. My RIR is still angrily guarding her nest, so not laying. Her feathers are everywhere! My BB doesn't seem to be laying or molting :idunno

Mine are really slacking and not really any feathers flying here. So far only 1 egg from 7 layers. Well, a soft shell one too on the poop board that the girls scarfed down :(
I've been getting about 4 a day so hopefully just an off day. Of course my mean EE has been in the box a few hours so maybe shes broody again. Of course she is... I put the dog crate away and now I gotta go dig it out again!! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom