Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Is anyone else having trouble enlarging photos when they click on them?? or is it just me??

Quote:

It's not letting me quote you either? Odd

Anyway... Sometimes one of the eggs has a bluish tone to it and others say it looks blue but to me it's green. Maybe I need to see a blue egg in person to see if my egg is actually kinda blue? I guess I'll call it blue-green. That top left one is pretty olive in person and the other two look very similar sage green. But I have no idea who lays what except that my blue-green egg is from one of the CCL and olive one is from one of the EE. Other than that, nope. No idea. I just looked back at my pic and the one really does look blue! That was just natural light and it does look more blue than green when outside. Eventually when my 10 week old GB's, OE and Ex Leghorn grow up I should have a very pretty egg basket! Right now it's pretty pastel. Absolutely NOT complaining though.... I'm getting eggs!!!!!

Oh, and I love that first pic of Amelia and Victoria... they are just beautiful!!!

It's not letting me quote you either? Odd

Anyway... Sometimes one of the eggs has a bluish tone to it and others say it looks blue but to me it's green. Maybe I need to see a blue egg in person to see if my egg is actually kinda blue? I guess I'll call it blue-green. That top left one is pretty olive in person and the other two look very similar sage green. But I have no idea who lays what except that my blue-green egg is from one of the CCL and olive one is from one of the EE. Other than that, nope. No idea. I just looked back at my pic and the one really does look blue! That was just natural light and it does look more blue than green when outside. Eventually when my 10 week old GB's, OE and Ex Leghorn grow up I should have a very pretty egg basket! Right now it's pretty pastel. Absolutely NOT complaining though.... I'm getting eggs!!!!!

Oh, and I love that first pic of Amelia and Victoria... they are just beautiful!!!
Thanks. Yeah enlarging pics, I have had to right click and open in new tab to see them.

Agreed about the egg song. I heard it when my girls were on alert, long before they started laying. Thank you, I sure hope so, she's had a nice red comb and wattles for over a month. This afternoon Baby went into the coop making the same noises Clara does before laying, nothing yet though. Very exciting!

Thanks!

Adorable!!!
I wish mine would climb trees!!!
lau.gif

Today was my first day off from work since Peppy started crowing. He crowed about 5 times at 6:20 and 3 more at 6:35. I think he knows I need to snooze at least once! And it was early enough to get coffee so I'm ready to go now that it's actually light out. I wish my life was a way that this roo was my alarm everyday. Working towards it!!

Haha. Complain away!! I'm always a bit surprised to hear of chickens going broody this time of year because of the cold weather coming.

Awww, congratulations on the the granddaughter and glad to hear the DIL is feeling better! I had no morning sickness with my 2 boys but I did get food aversions. The thought of eating chicken in my first trimester completely grossed me out!!
I hope you have before pics of the kitchen too... I love seeing remodels. Coops, kitchens what ever! And I'm impressed you spackle! I really want to build a 3 sided box with chicken wire sides so the chicks can come out of their run into the big run whenever they want. I think it would make integration so much smoother. Now they can only do it when I'm out there to throw a make shift set up together for them and so that's only for an hour a day or so. I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend. Seems so easy but I don't even know if I should use screws or hammer and nails LOL. My DH has been so busy with work I'm hoping to pick his brain Sat or Sun and make it.
My DIL had a lot of food aversions too, but is finally eating some of the stuff she was avoiding. Not eggs yet, though.

I've been taking a lot of pictures of the kitchen. I'll post a couple.

Love the idea of the 2 sided box. I need to let mine out in another area soon and I need to think of a way to do that. I hope that you share pics whenever you figure that out. I say just go for it, you can do it!
wink.png
It really does help having the extra muscle of the DH though.

So I put up textured paintable wallpaper on my ceiling, whoa that was not easy. I have a couple more strips to put up and that part is done. I am deciding on the color still too. I'll posts some pictures after this post of the before look. It was very ugly and damaged. I am waiting on the my DH to put up the rest of the wood on the ceiling, then I can finish my part too. It is amazing when you start a project, it seems doable at first, then you find other things that need to be done. We have a week from this coming Monday to complete the walls and ceiling before the cabinets come. We got a great price on the all wooden cabinets and since it was a great price, we have to put everyone of them together ourselves.
th.gif

I am hoping to get this project mostly done by Thanksgiving. Not sure if that will happen.

We still have the sink, stove and dishwasher hooked up, so right now it is not as bad. But we'll have to move those out eventually.

So, everyday brings change, especially with 6 week old baby swedes and on this clear beautiful Fall day I think it's become quite clear I HAVE FOUR OUT OF FIVE baby boys!!!!!!! Weigh in for me here guys. Out of 8 SFH eggs I've hatched I think the score is 6-2 with the boys beatin me up! Love them all but we have decisions comin.
Oh, no!! So sorry.

Agreed about the egg song. I heard it when my girls were on alert, long before they started laying. Thank you, I sure hope so, she's had a nice red comb and wattles for over a month. This afternoon Baby went into the coop making the same noises Clara does before laying, nothing yet though. Very exciting!

Thanks!

Adorable!!!
Your girls are beautiful. For some reason the pictures did not quote too.

Today was my first day off from work since Peppy started crowing. He crowed about 5 times at 6:20 and 3 more at 6:35. I think he knows I need to snooze at least once! And it was early enough to get coffee so I'm ready to go now that it's actually light out. I wish my life was a way that this roo was my alarm everyday. Working towards it!!
Oh the dream life. Wouldn't that be great?

@LynnEBC oh my! I cannot imagine wallpapering a ceiling! What a clever idea though. My kitchen has been in various stages of remodeling for quite a while. Hoping once the MIL is moved out we can get back to it!

This made me laugh today. "Kiwi, what were you doing??"

So for those of you fermenting, I'm having an issue I have not seen others address. Flies. Little fruit flies everywhere! And now their little maggots. I'm sure the chickens love them, but I can't stand it! I haven't figured out a way to cover it so that it breathes but these little buggers can't get in. Would cheesecloth secured tightly around the bucket allow it to breath? I'm thinking if it works that I will cut a hole in the lid and cover the hole with cheesecloth. Maybe im just lazy, but I will not stick with this if I have to remove and replace a cloth AND rubberband. LOL!

So apparently I underestimated Baby Buff today. After seeing Rowan onto the bus and supervising free range time while picking up twigs and branches for an hour, I was cold wet and in need of a shower. While drying off upstairs I heard honking from outside. My husband has a long weekend off so I asked him to go see what the ruckus was while I got dressed. He came back inside when I got downstairs and said Baby was in the nest box and did not appreciate having the lid lifted up and squawked at him to go away. So I went out there and sure enough she is singing the egg song, loudly, non-stop, from the nest box. She had been checking the nests out yesterday but her comb and wattles are still pretty small, though a deeper pink than before and has been squatting for almost a week. I stroked her and talked to her and told her the egg song is for after you lay, but she wouldn't quiet down, so I picked her up. She still had little outbursts while snuggling except when I had my lips on her comb and was stoking her wattles. Meanwhile Clara was laying in the corner and when I picked up her egg, Baby carried on with the egg song. So I thought, she's just getting excited about the idea of laying, she's practicing being a big girl. That or she's going to be one of those odd pullets who goes broody before laying their first egg. I set her down to take Clara's egg inside and she leaves the coop and sings the song for Clara.

After lunch she is back in the nest box again squawking. We are getting ready to go grocery shopping at Earth Fare (where we spent way too much money on grass fed meat, organic snacks and other food, sigh). Before we left, my husband asked if I checked under Baby to see if she had laid. I hadn't thought she had, but checked anyway. Sure enough she was sitting on her first little pullet egg, singing the egg song, probably waiting for me to acknowledge that she had laid and tell her good job. Who knows at what point she had laid it, could have been minutes or hours, it was still warm but it was under her fluff. She could have laid it before Clara and I just didn't see it in the nest because its small and light. Once I scooped her and the egg up, told her she was a good girl and set her down in the run, she went to eat some shell, food and drink water and didn't return to the nest box for the rest of the day. So Baby beat Morgaine to laying, even though Morgaines comb and wattles are twice as large and red. I hope she doesn't carry on so long and loudly every time.

Also I got an early (by a little less than a month) birthday present, a pair of BOGS winter muck boots, black with grey and purple plaid, though I kinda wish they had had the brown. Tomorrow we are going on a multi farm tour with our CSA and I needed a pair of boots. The boy got a pair of light up camo ones.

Baby about ten minutes before I checked under her, probably sitting her egg, lol!

Victoria keeping her and I company :)

Light peachy tan with some tiny white speckles

All three from today: Baby, Amelia and Clara

So apparently I underestimated Baby Buff today. After seeing Rowan onto the bus and supervising free range time while picking up twigs and branches for an hour, I was cold wet and in need of a shower. While drying off upstairs I heard honking from outside. My husband has a long weekend off so I asked him to go see what the ruckus was while I got dressed. He came back inside when I got downstairs and said Baby was in the nest box and did not appreciate having the lid lifted up and squawked at him to go away. So I went out there and sure enough she is singing the egg song, loudly, non-stop, from the nest box. She had been checking the nests out yesterday but her comb and wattles are still pretty small, though a deeper pink than before and has been squatting for almost a week. I stroked her and talked to her and told her the egg song is for after you lay, but she wouldn't quiet down, so I picked her up. She still had little outbursts while snuggling except when I had my lips on her comb and was stoking her wattles. Meanwhile Clara was laying in the corner and when I picked up her egg, Baby carried on with the egg song. So I thought, she's just getting excited about the idea of laying, she's practicing being a big girl. That or she's going to be one of those odd pullets who goes broody before laying their first egg. I set her down to take Clara's egg inside and she leaves the coop and sings the song for Clara.

After lunch she is back in the nest box again squawking. We are getting ready to go grocery shopping at Earth Fare (where we spent way too much money on grass fed meat, organic snacks and other food, sigh). Before we left, my husband asked if I checked under Baby to see if she had laid. I hadn't thought she had, but checked anyway. Sure enough she was sitting on her first little pullet egg, singing the egg song, probably waiting for me to acknowledge that she had laid and tell her good job. Who knows at what point she had laid it, could have been minutes or hours, it was still warm but it was under her fluff. She could have laid it before Clara and I just didn't see it in the nest because its small and light. Once I scooped her and the egg up, told her she was a good girl and set her down in the run, she went to eat some shell, food and drink water and didn't return to the nest box for the rest of the day. So Baby beat Morgaine to laying, even though Morgaines comb and wattles are twice as large and red. I hope she doesn't carry on so long and loudly every time.

Also I got an early (by a little less than a month) birthday present, a pair of BOGS winter muck boots, black with grey and purple plaid, though I kinda wish they had had the brown. Tomorrow we are going on a multi farm tour with our CSA and I needed a pair of boots. The boy got a pair of light up camo ones.

Baby about ten minutes before I checked under her, probably sitting her egg, lol!

Victoria keeping her and I company :)

Light peachy tan with some tiny white speckles

All three from today: Baby, Amelia and Clara
Oh Gosh.. love the story, love the pictures and I LOVE that Victoria. What good girls. I can't wait till Victoria lays for you. I am looking forward to seeing what color range those SGD eggs are! Thanks for sharing, and I love my BOGS.. toasty warm in the winter.

MB

Back
Top Bottom