Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I love your babies! The light brahmas are one of my favorite because of their personalities and they are down right gorgeous. The black and white is striking! And I have not ordered olive eggers so can't speak to them, but I have ordered ameraucanas. They are surprisingly flighty, much more than I would have thought and broody way too often (although to be expected). At least that has been my experience. So hopefully you'll be happy with the legbar/wellsumer OE.

Oh and I've heard mixed reviews on egg color coming from the OEs. Some find them to be just green. I did read of someone here getting a partial refund when their OE did not lay an olive egg. I'm not sure that's much of a consolation but don't get your hopes up too high.

Thanks, Christine! I agree about the Ameraucanas--mine has been exactly as you describe, flighty and broody (she just went broody once so far, but she's only a year old, so there may be more of that in her future). But she's been a reliable layer of pretty eggs, and she gets along fine with the flock, so no major complaints.

I hope my little Brahma turns out to be sweet like yours--she is actually one of the least happy of the lot that I have now to be picked up and held (it's actually kind of funny to watch her struggling mightily to fly away, since she can't really lift that heavy body with her tiny little wing feathers yet, unlike the others), but chick personalities don't always tell you about the adults, I think. I don't remember my last Dorking being particularly friendly as a chick, but she was super sweet and in your pocket when she grew up.

Good point on the OE egg color--Meyer does say on their site that there will be an occasional OE that lays a brown egg, but I forgot about those complaints that they sometimes just lay a green EE looking egg, too. I will try not to get my hopes up, hard as that can be.... :)

Louise (11 mo) with Harriet my RSLLouise -She looks thin in this picture, but she so isn't.
wink.png

Bonnie at 10 weeks. She is growing so fast.

I would assume probably the Easter Egger but I believe someone mentioned another breed once on the april fools thread that wasnt an EE i didnt think. Wasnt really a pink laying breed though, more just one hen. I think you could have luck with some of the brown egg laying breeds too, some of mine lay almost pink ones but not actual pink like that. Maybe a brown layer mixed with an EE or OE or true Ameraucana or something. I think it's just luck with the hen though, i dont know of anyone that lays just pink eggs. Though i imagine you could find some pink laying hens and start a breeding program just as you would blue or green. Surprised no one's tried it yet

I just accidentally ordered 5 more chicks to arrive in October.... and by accidentally I mean on purpose... just impulsively.
1f602.png
1f602.png

4 gorgeous breeds I have wanted since last year and 1 free chick. Kinda excited though tbh.

And if we're being entirely honest it wasn't entirely impulsive... I've been wanting to hit order and adding and removing them to and from my cart for days soooo :p plus like I said I've wanted them for a long time and they were sold out last year when I got my first. And I've actually checked the site trying to order them off and on through this year too and they were always sold out. They were FINALLY available. Some limited availability. So I just haaaaaddddd to...... right???

1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Meyer Meal Maker (free chick).

I didn't originally want the Partridge Rock but they're gorgeous. And I wanted to add Buff Brahma and another Barred Rock a few days ago but decided I should only get 4 more birds. Then I wanted a Brahma rooster but and almost added it tonight but decided we can't have one no matter how badly I want one. What's funny though is I decide I can only add 4 more... yet can't resist the Meyer Meal Maker...

I got one last year and I can't wait to see the surprise. Last year I got 2 each of Barred Rock (1 died at 6 days), Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Easter Egger, so the free chick was an easy choice, they just added another Buff Orp, which I was glad about, but this year because I got 4 different breeds and somewhat rarer or at least less availability breeds and stuff I have no clue what the free chick will be. Could be anything. So I can't wait to see what it is. That's part of why I ordered it. Can't resist surprise
1f602.png

Ordered from Meyer Hatchery again. And similar time. My current 8 I got October 26th hatch date, this year is October 11. Latest available date atm. But yeah.

Back
Top Bottom