Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

My two Partridges from Meyer are gorgeous and dark colored, but I got them in 2012 and I've seen someone else get one more recently from them that was lighter in coloration, so no guarantees, I guess. Here are my girls:

Wow those are gorgeous! I guess I'll just have to risk it then haha and maybe I could get one from a breeder eventually

Disclaimer: This is my opinion on a small sample of these breeds. You may find your experiences different. I have not had Delawares. I do know they are barred Columbian, so I can see why the pattern may be harder to see. If you want a columbian bird there are Columbian Wyandottes. I have had Welsummers. Ten years ago though. Pictures of them are inaccessible at the moment. They were pretty to look at and laid well. Slightly darker eggs and some with speckles. Obviously not as pretty as breeder birds' eggs but different than other brown eggs. I wasn't as thrilled with the personalities though. A little bossy and standoffish. I didn't replace them once they were gone. I actually prefer our brown Leghorn that we have now. She doesn't like to be picked up but she will follow us around. Same pretty color pattern, better personality and much better egg layer. I've had several varieties of Wyandottes (gold laced, silver laced, blue laced red). Okay layers of medium eggs. Personality wise they were a mixed bag, kind of like the EEs we've had over the years. Some nosy and friendly, other less so. My favorite Wyandotte was our old splash laced red boy Moe. He was a great flock rooster and lived to be 10. We have no Wyandottes at the moment.
900x900px-LL-77bc285e_13729_090308_01.jpeg
We have a speckled Sussex currently. Decent layer but was slow to start. Pretty to look at but she seems ditzy at times. We have white Rocks that are constantly underfoot. They are great layers, so maybe your partridge Rock will be as well. Here are the Rocks with a few flockmembers waiting for morning treats.
I only got one Welsummer from Meyer, but my experience with her personality was somewhat different, I think. She always had a stern look on her face, but she was a sweetheart--if a little pushy for her attention! She was bossy with the other girls, but never mean. Rather, she just seemed strict and stern like a nanny to the flock, keeping everyone in line and reminding them to mind their manners. :lol: She did only lay slightly darker than normal brown eggs, though, with some fine speckling across them that really stood out when I ran water over the shell. I might have a picture, but it would take me a bit to find it. Sadly, she passed away abruptly a couple weeks ago, so she's no longer with me. :( I would gladly get another from them, though! I've never had a Delaware, so I can't help on that front. Here's my Mabel, showing off her characteristic scowl. Boy, I miss seeing this face!
@KDOGG331 I have both Delaware and Silver Laced Wyandottes from last years order.I have to say Delawares are my favorite. Once they know you bring food/treats, they will LOVE you. My Silver Laced Wyandottes were younger and started on the bottom of the pecking order but I've noticed lately they are working their way up. I think it is just their nature to be top hen. In this picture you can see my two Delawares up front and ready for treats. That's my youngest SLW which is why she doesn't have a lot of white yet.
In this picture is my older SLW blinking of course. But if I didn't stop taking pictures and throw my treats, I was going to be knocked down.
Delaware eggs are huge. My friend got a Welsummer from Meyer last spring and I'd say her eggs were tan with dark spots. Which either my Delaware or SLWs does too. The two rows of brown eggs on the right come from the coop that my Delawares and Wyandottes are in.
I have a Welsummer from Meyer - she is very inquisitive and very friendly. When I go in the coop to scoop the board, she always joins me and supervises. Her eggs are not always the same same color or with the same number of spots. They are always the darkest eggs I get and some have very dark speckles some with raised spots and some hardly noticeable at all. Her are pics of her at 23 weeks - she's bigger now but a very good looking bird.
KDOG, just get all the breeds and get a bigger pen! Lol. I love the Welsummers, highly recommend.
Wow! just have to day that chicken is a beauty:love
I will be getting a Welsummer from Meyer in April. I hope she grows up to be as beautiful as yours.
I started with Delaware from Meyer...loved them....the pattern darkened with first molt and they are the one in my icon...its not actually considered a Columbian pattern just Columbian like....they were excellent layers and super friendly...not flighty but very busy all the time....
Seems like the personalities are kind of a mixed bag? I was just reading some reviews that said they were really loud or bossy and mean but others said they were really quiet and nice so now I'm confused haha Are the leghorns big combs a problem? Also I think I've narrowed it down to Partridge Rock, Speckled Sussex, GLW or SLW, and maybe the Welsummer. But now I also want a Cochin so I just don't know haha And now I'm curious about the Leghorn.

Looking at everyone's Meyer Hatchery birds has me anxiously awaiting my first Meyer Hatchery order. Unfortunately, they were out of a couple of the breeds I wanted, but I keep checking the website daily to see if anymore become available. I am hoping that since my order is not set to arrive until July that more will become available. In the meantime, I also find myself wishing they carried a few other breeds I would like to try (pictures borrowed from google for visuals),

Mille Fleur Leghorns,

Partridge Wyandottes (like this lighter variety from the UK or the darker variety in the states), Would also love to see Silver Pencilled Wyandottes

Golden Lakenvelders or Bantam Vorwerks

and sexed bantams.

What other breeds do you wish they started carrying?

Last edited:
Hi I just ordered cochins from meyer and I was wondering if they where good quality mostly the partridge and if anyone had any suggestions on the variety I should get

I have a white Cochin that I ordered last summer. She went broody about a month ago and has proven to be a great momma. I had ordered a Partridge but it ended up being a rooster. We were very disappointed. I just ordered a all hen hatchery choice order and got a Partridge hen (hopefully). Our Blue Cochin rooster we bought last spring is the most amazing, kid friendly rooster.
20170512_153008.jpg
20170522_123710.jpg

Back
Top Bottom