Meyer Hatchery Giving A Free Chick

Considering how cheap chicks are, I personally don't see it much different than just being charitable with a paid for chick.

I am wondering who else is thinking... 'Why does a company have to "trick" you into doing something charitiable?' Isn't kindness and charity something we should ALREADY be doing???
Just a thought!

Last edited:
Quote:
i agree with illia but have my own opinion on this:

i know its not right but some people do not take care of their chickens with the proper cleansliness of their"Area" and today in science we watched a program about parasites and worms so if the people in need who were getting the donated eggs contracted some worm or parasite from the eggs being not'clean' how would they pay for the doctors bill if they cant afford a 99cent dozen of eggs from a local gas station or grocerie store?

I think it's a great idea, because it's promoting the concept of philanthropy - and not just by way of giving cash. Of course it costs money to raise the chick, feed it, house it, care for it, collect its eggs. To my mind, that's part of what makes donating the eggs or the bird itself so rewarding: the investment one makes in the giving. I know it costs the hatchery next to nothing to give a "free" chick to promote/participate in this project, but it's an idea I may not have thought of otherwise - even though I routinely raise chicks then donate them to a local organic farm run by autistic adults (because I LIKE raising the chicks but don't need/want bunches of chickens).

So, I think the primary value/benefit is in promoting the concept of supporting and giving back to your own community. I like that.

Last edited:
Quote:
big_smile.png
I have a friend that has 5 children and not much money at all. I love to give them eggs just to see how happy it makes them to get a couple of eggs is great!!!!

Quote:
big_smile.png
I have a friend that has 5 children and not much money at all. I love to give them eggs just to see how happy it makes them to get a couple of eggs is great!!!!

why do you need someone else to 'trick' you into giving someone eggs that's in need, just do it and skip the chick. I'm giving eggs to 3 collage students, one is my daughters drum teacher, but the other 2 work at the store. they love it, and i know they are not 'dumpster diving for food', which makes me feel better and them safer.

Quote:
They are not really tricking you, its more like they are giving an idea. You get the chick if you ask for it but once its full grown is up to you to decide what to do with it I mean you can just forget about all that and just eat the eggs from that hen anyways is not like the're gonna be asking you for proof to see if you are actually donating the eggs. I mean after you get the chick you dont have to follow through with the idea, but thats where kindness comes in cuz you'll follow through with it if you really wish to do it.

Quote:
big_smile.png

why do you need someone else to 'trick' you into giving someone eggs that's in need, just do it and skip the chick. I'm giving eggs to 3 collage students, one is my daughters drum teacher, but the other 2 work at the store. they love it, and i know they are not 'dumpster diving for food', which makes me feel better and them safer.

That's nice that you give eggs to college students - and as I said, I routinely donate pullets and cockerels to a local organic farm - because I like to. No tricks involved. However, if a hatchery presents the idea, which someone may not have thought of otherwise, more power to them. And kudos to those for whom giving back to their communities is second nature, with or without outside suggestion.

I guess the reason I like the concept of the 'free' chick is because I like the idea of a surprise. I dont have any illusions that saving a couple of dollars is any big deal. However, for me at least it is fun wondering what breed I will get. I plan on giving most eggs away to neighbors anyway but I think its a fun promotion.

Back
Top Bottom