Meyer Hatchery questions?

WingedFish

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
I'm not getting chickens till next spring, but I figured I'd do a little research while I wait. So anyway, I've ordered from My Pet Chicken before (since you can order a few at a time and not need to have extras), and while I was satisfied with the service, the shipping price was rather expensive. But I've been looking at Meyer, and it says they do the same thing. But my question is, are they cheaper when it comes to shipping? And/or do they also not put in "peanuts" with the order? I have not seen anything regarding these questions on their site, so I would appreciate it if someone could tell we how stuff works there in that respect. Being a teenager with (at this time) no income, I can't afford to pay 30-50 bucks to pay for the shipping of 4-6 chicks. But I still want different breeds that I normally wouldn't be able to find locally. Thank you for reading this!

I dont think they send out peanuts and i heard mypetchicken gets there chicks from meyer hatchery. The one an only time ive tried ordering from either none of the breeds i wanted apparently hatched so i went with chickensforbackyards.

That is what I have heard. But what I want to know is does Meyer charge more for shipping when the order is small? Because MPC charges an extra $30 or so when the order is around the minimum, which is rather pricy. So what I want to know is if Meyer's shipping for small orders are the same or less to MPC.

I hear it thrown around in hatchery terms sometimes. It means extra chicks that are put in with your order (usually males) to keep the shipment warm.

I got 4 chicks from Meyer Hatchery this year and shipping was expensive (something like $40).

amaf Easter Egger Female
2​
$2.70​
$5.40​
Available

BLMM Black Copper Maran Male
1​
$8.88​
$8.88​
Available

BUPF White Crested Blue Polish Sandard Female
2​
$3.65​
$7.30​
Available

BUSBS Blue Silkies St. Run
1​
$3.15​
$3.15​
Available

CKMF Cuckoo Marans Female
2​
$3.65​
$7.30​
Available

JBGF Black Jersey Giant Female
2​
$2.70​
$5.40​
Available

mmmf Meyer Meal Maker
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Available

MRK Marek's (HVT) Vaccination Service
14​
$1.03​
$14.42​
Available

npip NPIP Certificate
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Available

sphf Silver Spangled Hamburg Female
1​
$2.70​
$2.70​
Available

SSXF Speckled Sussex Females
2​
$2.70​
$5.40​
Available

VPWO Vital-Pack with Poultry Order
1​
$4.77​
$4.77​
Available

welf Welsummer Female
2​
$3.65​
$7.30​
Available

Discount
$0.00​
Shipping
$20.01​
Tax
$0.00​
Total

$92.03​

This is a copy of my order. I hope it helps to answer some questions. Supposed to be getting them in september. And something you should note, they do not do the mareks vaccine on banty chickens.

Stelle Kitty

Last edited:
Yikes. I have seen several places around here on Craigslist (I'm slightly east of Columbus, OH) that look like they will be around next year. And one place said they have Crested Polish, which is the one I really want (it's my favorite breed). And I only want one of them and then three other regular breeds (like Leghorns, RIR, and/or Barred Rocks for laying). So I think I'll go with that, since I just want a few since I see my chickens as pets with the added benefits they come with!
wink.png
Now I just need to figure out which places sex their chicks. But I guess I'll wait till next year for that question. Anyway, thanks to all for the price info!

Last edited:
Yes you pay more for less chicks. I think the first price break was around 14 chicks. Substantial enough savings that it made getting that many from them the easy choice.

If you only order a few, yes you will likely get packing peanuts.

Back
Top Bottom