Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

Received my Meyer order today right in the middle of the snow storm. Out of 47 6 were DOA. 1 died right after I got home. 2 not looking good. But it was a 2 day trip. In weather that was not helpfull. The smallest of them all were 3 mottled cochin bantams, all 3 alive and some of the most active of all of them.
[/IMG]

Aww so cute sorry about your doa's that's always hard! Good luck with your new peeps

I'm so sorry to hear about the losses of both hatcheries. :( I like to hear the success stories though. Has any one ordered from eFowl? They are having a sale on their chicks where if you buy 25 you get free shipping, and they have a coupon for Valentines day (I think it ends today). I was thinking about getting some later this year from them, but I haven't decided yet...

With the 50+ chicks we received, I kept 13. :)

EEs

Jersey Giants

Salmon Faverolles

Welsummers (though I'm suspecting one may actually be an EE, but I'm growing it out before I trade it out with my friend.)

Mottled Houdans (The one in the back I named Spaz.)

Buff Orpington

Suspected Olive Egger

I'm so sorry to hear about the losses of both hatcheries. :( I like to hear the success stories though. Has any one ordered from eFowl? They are having a sale on their chicks where if you buy 25 you get free shipping, and they have a coupon for Valentines day (I think it ends today). I was thinking about getting some later this year from them, but I haven't decided yet...

With the 50+ chicks we received, I kept 13. :)

EEs

Jersey Giants

Salmon Faverolles

Welsummers (though I'm suspecting one may actually be an EE, but I'm growing it out before I trade it out with my friend.)

Mottled Houdans (The one in the back I named Spaz.)

Buff Orpington

Suspected Olive Egger
aww so cute!!

I called MM last week to inquire about Light Brahma's. The woman wasnt very nice nor very helpful which turned me off. Ive heard good things about their birds so if I have to go this route, Ill probably still buy from them.

My issue is that I have to buy now but wont get the chicks for 3 weeks. I really dont like that.

I called MM last week to inquire about Light Brahma's. The woman wasnt very nice nor very helpful which turned me off. Ive heard good things about their birds so if I have to go this route, Ill probably still buy from them.

My issue is that I have to buy now but wont get the chicks for 3 weeks. I really dont like that.

It seems like every time I call, I talk to Peggy. She is always nice and pleasant to talk to. If you have to call them back, I would ask for her if the person you get isn't nice.

No matter what hatchery you go with, they have to have about two weeks advance on the order. I looked at another hatchery that they don't give you a date until after you pay for the chicks, and then a few days later they will e-mail you the date. That would totally stink if you were wanting one for Spring but they won't ship until closer to Summer. I'm not sure how that really works either, so I could have the wrong impression on it. I think that was eFowl.com.

At Murray McMurray you can pick the week you want your chicks delivered from a chart in the shopping cart which shows the availabilities of all the birds and sexes you have selected, you can also choose whether or not you pay immediately upon placing an order or you pay at the time of shipment. I ordered from Mcmurray last spring and was pleased with the results, didn't lose any chicks and it was long shipping due to them shipping over the weekend which I didn't care for but it turned out ok. The only thing I have to say about them is now that the birds are grown and have been laying for awhile I am not overly impressed with the size of the hens nor the size or amount of eggs being laid, however it is winter so I will see what happens in the spring. The EE are the only ones I feel are the correct size and lay normally. I am considering giving Cackle a try next time though I would order from McMurray again. I have no experience with customer service as I did everything online.

I had a good experience ordering my first chicks from Meyer this September. Customer service was good (I called a few times to adjust my order).

The chicks arrived overnight. All were healthy. At 20 weeks, one sex link started laying daily.

Last edited:
I had a good experience ordering my first chicks from Meyer this September. Customer service was good (I called a few times to adjust my order).

The chicks arrived overnight. All were healthy. At 20 weeks, one sex link started laying daily. 
Nice! I have ordered baby chicks. Most of them were for meat/breeding purposes. I only have 19 in the order.

Back
Top Bottom