Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

I am glad that you mentioned the packs. I feel that they should put them in for prevention of loss Anyway. That is part of shipping. Anyway, after seeing your past a couple of days ago I called to add a heat pack.

I am happy if I can save anyone having to deal with cold dead chicks. So glad you added a heat pack to help keep your chicks warm.

My chicks from McMurray are now a 2 weeks old. We lost 4 and had a really bad mix up in the order. Some of the chicks that we ordered, we did not receive. Glad that they sent 6 extra. Too bad I do not know what all the chicks are. We also got shorted a chick of a breed that we ordered the most of. I am guessing that my "Free Rare Exotic" is a buff Cochin. They added another blue to our order and gave us the buff one. I was hoping to get a breed that we did not have. Mcmurray did give us a refund on all of the mistakes and the deceased. Now I am on the hunt for those that were not in my order. An order that I placed in November or 2014.

My McMurray chicks at a week old

My chicks from McMurray are now a 2 weeks old. We lost 4 and had a really bad mix up in the order. Some of the chicks that we ordered, we did not receive. Glad that they sent 6 extra. Too bad I do not know what all the chicks are. We also got shorted a chick of a breed that we ordered the most of. I am guessing that my "Free Rare Exotic" is a buff Cochin. They added another blue to our order and gave us the buff one. I was hoping to get a breed that we did not have. Mcmurray did give us a refund on all of the mistakes and the deceased. Now I am on the hunt for those that were not in my order. An order that I placed in November or 2014.

Crazy! I ordered duckling for February, and they mixed up one of mine. It was the extra, they had labeled as a Sweet Emily, but it was a Buff Orpington. Thankfully it was a free one so I didn't care so much.

Did they reimburse you for the wrong ones?

Crazy! I ordered duckling for February, and they mixed up one of mine. It was the extra, they had labeled as a Sweet Emily, but it was a Buff Orpington. Thankfully it was a free one so I didn't care so much.

Did they reimburse you for the wrong ones?
Yes. I just found out that they had never sent my Rose Comb Brown Leghorn. I am okay with the extras, but I would really appreciate having what I actually ordered. This is my first time buying from a hatchery. I ordered my males from Meyer's. I hope that order is fine. Meyer's did let me know that they do not send extras, because they do not want to inconvenience anyone.

Now you have me worried. I did get exactly the number of chicks I ordered. That part is good. Twenty three out of twenty seven are alive after 3 weeks. The bad part is that my chicks are in Montana and I'm in Arizona. The lady taking care of the chicks hasn't the time nor desire to figure out if we got the right breeds of chicks or not. She had me worried as I ordered salmon faverolles roosters and she couldn't find any with fuzzy legs or 5 toes. I'm hoping there are just too many to spot those two. The chicks will be 3 months old before I ever get to see them.

I also ordered rose combed brown leghorns but were sent barred rock instead. That change was on the shipping list. Now that there are 2 of us ordering the same thing and not getting them, I wonder if McMurray is having a problem with that particular breed.

Now you have me worried.  I did get exactly the number of chicks I ordered.  That part is good.  Twenty three out of twenty seven are alive after 3 weeks.  The bad part is that my chicks are in Montana and I'm in Arizona.  The lady taking care of the chicks hasn't the time nor desire to figure out if we got the right breeds of chicks or not.  She had me worried as I ordered salmon faverolles roosters and she couldn't find any with fuzzy legs or 5 toes.  I'm hoping there are just too many to spot those two.  The chicks will be 3 months old before I ever get to see them. 

I also ordered rose combed brown leghorns but were sent barred rock instead.  That change was on the shipping list.  Now that there are 2 of us ordering the same thing and not getting them, I wonder if McMurray is having a problem with that particular breed. 
They did send me my Salmon Faverolles male plus a free male. My two free males died. They were small and did not eat or drink after the first day. We forced them to drink, but still lost them.

The Salmon Faverolles are so easy to find in the mixed brooder. We only have a few yellow chicks and all of our footed babies stand out.

I am a bit upset because my order form is checked off with all of the chicks that I ordered, and so far I know that I am missing 3 chicks that are checked off. They did not label the free ones that they gave us, so we are not sure what we have.

As you had pointed out, therest must be issues with the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns. Our Red Leghorn slowed down and eventually layed down and died on day 2. So we do not have any leghorns.

I've only had two commercial hatchery experiences thus far--both with Meyer Hatchery.

I live so close to the hatchery, I just go pick my small orders up myself to save them the trauma of being crammed in a box for two days. One of my Buff Orpington chicks died within 48 hours of getting it and I emailed them about it. I was impressed with how quickly they responded to the email, that they were going to replace the chick that died despite it having been a pick-up (which isn't guaranteed). I already had another Buff Orpington in that second order so I wasn't too bummed that it never ended up happening. But it was nice of them to offer it and get back to me at all!

The only reason I didn't go with them again this year for chicks is because they're clean sold out of everything. Going to wait for some marans to be in stock and go back!

I just wish I could get ducklings and turkey chicks for pick-up--but it's probably good that I can't, otherwise, I would be over-run with babies!

Yes. I just found out that they had never sent my Rose Comb Brown Leghorn. I am okay with the extras, but I would really appreciate having what I actually ordered. This is my first time buying from a hatchery. I ordered my males from Meyer's. I hope that order is fine. Meyer's did let me know that they do not send extras, because they do not want to inconvenience anyone.

I wonder if they just have a new employee filling orders. I haven't had anything like that happen before. Have you called them to let them know? Their customer service, in my experience, is really good.

Meyer won't send you anything you didn't order, and I like that about them. McMurray is mostly like that (except with the free exotic), and that's why I'm so surprised your order is so wrong. Maybe if you have enough they could send you the ones you wanted?

Back
Top Bottom