Meyer Hatchery

I got ducklings this time they are all supposed to be girls, the chicks I got were all girls though. I just figured live animals would be overnight or 1 day, just seems so long.

I can honestly say I've gotten very lucky. The 1st 6 I got from the feed store were all pullets. The 6 I got from the Meyer's order, all pullets. The 3 I got straight run from a breeder in my town, pullets. It wasn't until I purposefully purchased a rooster that I got a male.

I purchased 5 (with one extra to make 6), a year ago this past spring. I ordered them on the weekend, they shipped Monday, and I received a call from the post office Tuesday. I had no losses, everybody was healthy and hungry. So far, in the last year, we've lost our leghorn (the extra) to sickness, but otherwise, everybody else is happy and healthy.

My 11 chicks were hatched/shipped April 30. We got them 3 days later in upstate NY. All alive, quite active and happy to be out of the shipping box. The RIR had been pecked at the top of her beak a little so we gave her extra attention and she came along just fine.

We did end up with a Delaware cockerel (Dexter) instead of 2 Delaware pullets. So we are now watching him grow up with our selected Salmon Faverolle cockerel, Fabio. Meyer gave me a wee bit of grief over the gender of Dexter when I informed them I got 2 cockerels. I never bothered to go back with current photos to prove the point. They offer a 90% gender guarantee and that is what we got for the pullets so there really isn't any point in arguing the issue.

Last edited:
For anyone that ordered chickens or ducks from Meyer Hatchery, how long did it take you to recieve them? Did you experience any losses. How was your experience?
All my chickens except for one are from Meyer Hatchery. I live in California and it took about 24 hours for them to get to my post office. My first batch of eight had five that died within a day and a half, but they sent me out replacements and they were all healthy. I am not sure, but I think the first shipment had problems with the heat pack because the box was not warm. Customer service was great and although I was hesitant about having more chicks shipped out, they assured me that that does not regularly happen. The second batch had no casualties. All of them were also sexed correctly, so ended up with seven females from Meyer hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom